Jump to content

1932 DM DODGE SEDAN (EXPORT) FRAME DIAGRAM


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Forgive me, I have to retrieve some photos (which I will post later) from 20yrs ago and some more recent of this 1932 DM Dodge sedan, (90% restored) in my workshop. After reading info and cross matching dates and models, my understanding is that a diagram of a 1932 Dodge DM frame was unavailable in the shop manuals/literature of the time. Maybe because it was the export model DM, to Canada/Australia/S.A. etc.

I read that Chrysler, possibly used the same frame as a 1931 Plymouth PA model, and fitted it with Dodge running gear. Any further details anyone has with the 31/32 frame picture with specs is appreciated.

Thanks Dave

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know little of the export model you have, but I’ve been restoring my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL sedan for the last seven years and know it quite well.  32 was the first year for the new X-frame.  If your DM features a ladder frame it’s probably based on an earlier design.  Is your car a six or a four?  The Plymouth PA was a four and if your car is a four it’s probably based on the Plymouth.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dave Shackley said:

Hi all,

Forgive me, I have to retrieve some photos (which I will post later) from 20yrs ago and some more recent of this 1932 DM Dodge sedan, (90% restored) in my workshop. After reading info and cross matching dates and models, my understanding is that a diagram of a 1932 Dodge DM frame was unavailable in the shop manuals/literature of the time. Maybe because it was the export model DM, to Canada/Australia/S.A. etc.

I read that Chrysler, possibly used the same frame as a 1931 Plymouth PA model, and fitted it with Dodge running gear. Any further details anyone has with the 31/32 frame picture with specs is appreciated.

Thanks Dave

 

There were no shop manuals for the 1932 DBs. You may try Bishko Books for an instruction book. It will have a lot of information. The Model DM is very rare.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, Taylormade said:

I know little of the export model you have, but I’ve been restoring my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL sedan for the last seven years and know it quite well.  32 was the first year for the new X-frame.  If your DM features a ladder frame it’s probably based on an earlier design.  Is your car a six or a four?  The Plymouth PA was a four and if your car is a four it’s probably based on the Plymouth.

Thank you for your information. This 32 DM has the x frame and is a four. I have seen the printed 1933 lubrication chart for the PB Plymouth 32 model with the x frame, so maybe it is a match. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 2:48 AM, keiser31 said:

There were no shop manuals for the 1932 DBs. You may try Bishko Books for an instruction book. It will have a lot of information. The Model DM is very rare.

Thank you for your information, I will look into Bishko Books. I do have some history of this car. Exported to Australia and registered in Queensland in its early life as a staff car for the Medical and Ambulance services. Looking forward to progressing with more the work on it soon.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Dave Shackley said:

Thank you for your information. This 32 DM has the x frame and is a four. I have seen the printed 1933 lubrication chart for the PB Plymouth 32 model with the x frame, so maybe it is a match. 

Is that car a five passenger convertible? If so, I used to know that car. Did it used to have a trunk grafted onto the rear body section?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 10:41 AM, keiser31 said:

Is that car a five passenger convertible? If so, I used to know that car. Did it used to have a trunk grafted onto the rear body section?

Unfortunately, not the convertible you speak of. It is a DM Four Sedan. The body, had a timber frame, now steeled. Have recently spoke to a Dodge guy who has a few..33,34 and a 31. His 31 is all originally steel bodied. So maybe the timber frame was surplus from previous models to use up economically in the four, for export 32'cars? It is 1 of 1173 models for export, according to specs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

May have a Au built wood framed body on to an imported chassis-running gear.

AU did not always do things the same as USA in those time

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There used to be a very original '32 DM sedan that appeared at local events here in NZ many years ago. I heard a story that the owner had two of them and wrecked one to ensure that the remaining was really the 'only one' here. Since the owner passed away, quite a few years ago now, I don't know what has happened to it. I don't have a photo of it unfortunately.

 

The story in The Standard Catalog says the DM was a PB Plymouth with Dodge body and 'trim'. Apparently 1173 built in the US and 16 in Windsor, Canada, all for export.

 

Whether the NZ was ex Canada or the US I don't know. Also unknown is whether it was wood or steel body.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2021 at 9:52 AM, nzcarnerd said:

There used to be a very original '32 DM sedan that appeared at local events here in NZ many years ago. I heard a story that the owner had two of them and wrecked one to ensure that the remaining was really the 'only one' here. Since the owner passed away, quite a few years ago now, I don't know what has happened to it. I don't have a photo of it unfortunately.

 

The story in The Standard Catalog says the DM was a PB Plymouth with Dodge body and 'trim'. Apparently 1173 built in the US and 16 in Windsor, Canada, all for export.

 

Whether the NZ was ex Canada or the US I don't know. Also unknown is whether it was wood or steel body.

Thank you for all your information, very helpful. I purchased the sedan from a lady nearly 20 yrs ago, 2002. Her husband was about to restore it, then he passed away suddenly. When I bought it, with it came his loose, but dedicated notes and a 'piled file' of other Dodge owner details: Some photos, names for DM car owners across Australia (most different body types) and wrecked & spare parts contacts etc. I have only just now, started to dig back into and look more carefully at it. His wife at the time, mentioned stories of other cars.. Your story of the NZ 32DM trigged my 'vague' memory..  NZ cars were in that conversation in 2002. I have pulled to share from the file, photo 1 dated 1977. By joining some dots, fingers crossed  I believe it to be my now 32DM Dodge Four sedan at a NSW rally, original owner name on back as P. Goudie. A newspaper clipping is photo 2 from a NSW Aust festival (1970). A 27 Tourer next to a 32DM sedan, quite interesting. But now, found at the end of the file is a photo,(photo 3) around the year 2000? ..Checking on the back is written the owners name & address, from Christchurch, NZ...The number plate may be the clue 'DM 1932'? Could it possibly be, the 'survivor' car?...I leave it to your memory now, sorry about that! Cars...Always a jigsaw puzzle, history and even more so building them. Plus great fun of course...or a 'disease' ? On a side note, would very much like to make a trip NZ to do some car events/swaps, sooner rather than later...interested in searching over there for something completely different.. A '56-60 Hillman Husky'.. Cheers Dave

 

 

Posted yesterday at 09:52 AM

There used to be a very original '32 DM sedan that appeared at local events here in NZ many years ago. I heard a story that the owner had two of them and wrecked one to ensure that the remaining was really the 'only one' here. Since the owner passed away, quite a few years ago now, I don't know what has happened to it. I don't have a photo of it unfortunately.

The story in The Standard Catalog says the DM was a PB Plymouth with Dodge body and 'trim'. Apparently 1173 built in the US and 16 in Windsor, Canada, all for export.

 

Whether the NZ was ex Canada or the US I don't know. Also unknown is whether it was wood or steel body.

 

 

IMG_20210607_122011900_2.jpg

IMG_20210607_122144797_3.jpg

1932 DODGE  DM NZ  .jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave Shackley said:

Thank you for all your information, very helpful. I purchased the sedan from a lady nearly 20 yrs ago, 2002. Her husband was about to restore it, then he passed away suddenly. When I bought it, with it came his loose, but dedicated notes and a 'piled file' of other Dodge owner details: Some photos, names for DM car owners across Australia (most different body types) and wrecked & spare parts contacts etc. I have only just now, started to dig back into and look more carefully at it. His wife at the time, mentioned stories of other cars.. Your story of the NZ 32DM trigged my 'vague' memory..  NZ cars were in that conversation in 2002. I have pulled to share from the file, photo 1 dated 1977. By joining some dots, fingers crossed  I believe it to be my now 32DM Dodge Four sedan at a NSW rally, original owner name on back as P. Goudie. A newspaper clipping is photo 2 from a NSW Aust festival (1970). A 27 Tourer next to a 32DM sedan, quite interesting. But now, found at the end of the file is a photo,(photo 3) around the year 2000? ..Checking on the back is written the owners name & address, from Christchurch, NZ...The number plate may be the clue 'DM 1932'? Could it possibly be, the 'survivor' car?...I leave it to your memory now, sorry about that! Cars...Always a jigsaw puzzle, history and even more so building them. Plus great fun of course...or a 'disease' ? On a side note, would very much like to make a trip NZ to do some car events/swaps, sooner rather than later...interested in searching over there for something completely different.. A '56-60 Hillman Husky'.. Cheers Dave

 

 

Posted yesterday at 09:52 AM

There used to be a very original '32 DM sedan that appeared at local events here in NZ many years ago. I heard a story that the owner had two of them and wrecked one to ensure that the remaining was really the 'only one' here. Since the owner passed away, quite a few years ago now, I don't know what has happened to it. I don't have a photo of it unfortunately.

The story in The Standard Catalog says the DM was a PB Plymouth with Dodge body and 'trim'. Apparently 1173 built in the US and 16 in Windsor, Canada, all for export.

 

Whether the NZ was ex Canada or the US I don't know. Also unknown is whether it was wood or steel body.

 

 

IMG_20210607_122011900_2.jpg

IMG_20210607_122144797_3.jpg

1932 DODGE  DM NZ  .jpg

 

From the look of the rally numbers on the cars that photo of DM1932 was taken during the 1996 VCC NZ 50th Anniversary Rally. 

 

I don't know any more about the car but I know someone who might. I will see what I can find out.

 

A link to the carjam page which gives its chassis number - Report - DM1932 - 1932 DODGE SEDAN in Black with Blue | CARJAM

 

The Hillman Husky was never common here but as an odd coincidence I saw this Commer Cob on the road on Saturday and luckily someone took a photo of it at the meet up it went to in New Brighton on Sunday morning 6 June and posted it on facebook. I guess there must be a Rootes group club here but I don't know. 

 

 

 

 

191496671_2947874875432261_74153442052745659_n.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG_20210607_122011900_2.jpg

 

image.jpeg.d7bf7d0d266da74006f03f769df8f01e.jpeg

 

Comparing my 32 DL with your DM, there are major differences.  Although the grill shape is similar, the bottoms are different.  Different bumpers, front fenders, windshield shape, one vs two cowl vents, headlight mounting, bumpers and cowl lights.  My body is all steel.  Since Plymouth used a four through 32, I believe there is a lot of Plymouth in your Dodge.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have a pdf 2020 NZ Vintage Car Club list. Only 1 off 1932 Dodge listed (in Hamilton). Model number is not listed. Same person owns a 1930 Dodge and other cars of the era. Does not have an email address listed for this owner.

 

Edit

Only 1 off 1932 Dodge registered in NZ (but may be others in sheds)

https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&year=1932&make=DODGE&model=

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, Dave Shackley said:

Hi all,

Forgive me, I have to retrieve some photos (which I will post later) from 20yrs ago and some more recent of this 1932 DM Dodge sedan, (90% restored) in my workshop. After reading info and cross matching dates and models, my understanding is that a diagram of a 1932 Dodge DM frame was unavailable in the shop manuals/literature of the time. Maybe because it was the export model DM, to Canada/Australia/S.A. etc.

I read that Chrysler, possibly used the same frame as a 1931 Plymouth PA model, and fitted it with Dodge running gear. Any further details anyone has with the 31/32 frame picture with specs is appreciated.

Thanks Dave

 

1932 Plymouth frame.

1932 Plymouth frame.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

I have a pdf 2020 NZ Vintage Car Club list. Only 1 off 1932 Dodge listed (in Hamilton). Model number is not listed. Same person owns a 1930 Dodge and other cars of the era. Does not have an email address listed for this owner.

 

Edit

Only 1 off 1932 Dodge registered in NZ (but may be others in sheds)

https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&year=1932&make=DODGE&model=

 

Maybe the two Dodges (HT1943 and DM1932) in the photo above taken in 1996 were owned by the same person?

 

DM 1932 is still on carjam. Hasn't had a wof since 2011 - note its date of first registration is May 1933 - late registrations are quite common for cars of that era - Report - DM1932 - 1932 DODGE SEDAN in Black with Blue | CARJAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The second photo of the NSW festival in in Murwillumbah , and is The Tweed Valley Banana Festival. The 1928 Dodge Brothers Tourer was at that time owned by a David Taylor  , in the pic the fellow with his hand on the word cars is hi brother Phill who still deals in cars to this day in Murwillumbah . On this car I can give many detailes . I will copy this print an have a talk to Phill about the DM and see what information can be found of it  .It is possible that this car is a DL the was parked in a wrecking yard and rotted away ,should have pics of it in the early 80s , will look. Bob

Edited by robert b (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 5:15 PM, nzcarnerd said:

 

From the look of the rally numbers on the cars that photo of DM1932 was taken during the 1996 VCC NZ 50th Anniversary Rally. 

 

I don't know any more about the car but I know someone who might. I will see what I can find out.

 

A link to the carjam page which gives its chassis number - Report - DM1932 - 1932 DODGE SEDAN in Black with Blue | CARJAM

 

The Hillman Husky was never common here but as an odd coincidence I saw this Commer Cob on the road on Saturday and luckily someone took a photo of it at the meet up it went to in New Brighton on Sunday morning 6 June and posted it on facebook. I guess there must be a Rootes group club here but I don't know. 

 

 

 

 

191496671_2947874875432261_74153442052745659_n.jpg

Thanks again, all info appreciated. Great photo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

I have a pdf 2020 NZ Vintage Car Club list. Only 1 off 1932 Dodge listed (in Hamilton). Model number is not listed. Same person owns a 1930 Dodge and other cars of the era. Does not have an email address listed for this owner.

 

Edit

Only 1 off 1932 Dodge registered in NZ (but may be others in sheds)

https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&year=1932&make=DODGE&model=

 

On 6/8/2021 at 12:43 AM, Taylormade said:

IMG_20210607_122011900_2.jpg

 

image.jpeg.d7bf7d0d266da74006f03f769df8f01e.jpeg

 

Comparing my 32 DL with your DM, there are major differences.  Although the grill shape is similar, the bottoms are different.  Different bumpers, front fenders, windshield shape, one vs two cowl vents, headlight mounting, bumpers and cowl lights.  My body is all steel.  Since Plymouth used a four through 32, I believe there is a lot of Plymouth in your Dodge.

Yes, several differences. Recent literature I have found suggests that the 32 frame from Detroit, exported to Canada, fitted with the 4cycl.  Then exported the Aust. where a TJ Richards coach frame and body was assembled in Adelaide, South Australia. Also the article states that there where only 16 examples produced and they were the last 4cycl. Dodges produced in North America.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, robert b said:

The second photo of the NSW festival in in Murwillumbah , and is The Tweed Valley Banana Festival. The 1928 Dodge Brothers Tourer was at that time owned by a David Taylor  , in the pic the fellow with his hand on the word cars is hi brother Phill who still deals in cars to this day in Murwillumbah . On this car I can give many detailes . I will copy this print an have a talk to Phill about the DM and see what information can be found of it  .It is possible that this car is a DL the was parked in a wrecking yard and rotted away ,should have pics of it in the early 80s , will look. Bob

Thank you for the information. Hard to tell with half the car in the photo, but a few details suggest it is a 32DM. My DM I was told may? have been an ambulance staff car at Southport Qld. back in its day. The person I bought it from lived in Burpengary Qld. Appreciate your interest and any further knowledge about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Dave the car in the second photo was in deed a 4 cylinder Dodge Brothers , it was a local car from Chilcots Rd Chillingham Murwillumbah , aquired by Phill in the 1970s and later sold to unknown buyer for the sum of 300  dollars . the car was rough and had no doors at the time . I will some more research on it and advise . regards Bob

Edited by robert b (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello NZCARNERD,

                                  The car that you speak of is alive and well on the North Island and belongs to a friend of mine. From what he tells me it has a Budd body. Here are a few current images.

1932DM.jpg

1932DM2.jpg

1932DM3.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

 

Good to see the car has survived and is in good hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...