1952 Packard

Oak Tree

If you don't already have one, heres a link to the owners manual, which doesn't answer your question.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/archive/content.php?op=&catID=15&ContentID=171

I don't see instructions for checking the Ultramatic oil level, just instructions to have the trans serviced at your Packard dealer.🙄

Interesting that a couple years later they moved the dipstick and fill up under the hood.

Enjoy the Packard.

• Like 1

I have a 1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe with the Ultramatic same as your 1952.  Because there is no under hood dip stick set-up, checking the fluid level has to be done on a lift or jack up but level.  It has to be checked warmed up after running for 15 minutes or a five mile drive.

Shut the engine off and check the fluid level immediately by turning the stick cap counterclockwise, wipe and check level.  

If overfull, there is a drain plug on the pan to get it to correct level.

To fill, there is a plug on the top rear of the main transmission body right in front of the seat.  Moving the carpet or mat is necessary to access it.  

The Type A ATF is recommended, I've used Dextron, seems to be fine. 

Generally, running a little overfull is recommended by Packard people now, though too much will make the fluid aerate so not too much.   Like most transmissions then, they leak a little at the shift shaft seals and if the gasket on the dipstick cap is dried up hard will let some out there too.   Ulramatic works in either Low or High range with torque converter lock-out once the car reaches 18-22 mph dependent upon throttle position and the converter lock-out releases at about 10-12 mph.  Shifting manually between Low and High ranges should NEVER be done with the car moving, they weren't set-up for that until the Gear-Start Ultramatic in the latter part of the 1954 model year/ 

• Like 1

Yes, Dexron was the replacement for Type A. Dexron III still available, but officially replaced with Dexron VI. Suposed to be backwards compatible to Type A ,and all the other Dexrons. I do not know about Dexron ULV, 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I suppose that getting under the car was not often done by Packard owners. The car would have been up on a lift for the regular oil/lube jobs. These were tasks best left to the "help."