Tops

Greacore

I already looked in the big book.  Not much information.  The front bow is the same but no data on the other bows.  Without finding one for the exact year and model, the next best thing is another close year of the same make and model.   Correct tops frames are extremely difficult to find.  Usually no markings, or the pieces have been neglected and you do not have much to work with.     

1922 6-45 according to my small parts book

top assy = #153774

socket assy = #44702 rt and #44703 left

Top Bows =  Bow #1 = 36377, #2 = 42202, #3 = 45198,  Rear = 39528

Maybe someone could check the 1919  small parts book to compare???

Mark and all,

I looked through all of my Buick illustrated parts catalogs from 1916 through 1921 and none of the part numbers match with the 1922 numbers.  This tells me that these top parts and pieces were year model specific.  On the 1916

Light Six top, the rear window is oval (or elliptical) shaped, however, it is sewn into the top fabric and not framed like the one in the photo.  I'm reasonably certain that the top in the photos is not from a 1916 Buick Light Six.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Greacore:

The top for my 1925 Standard Model 25 has a cut down and welded up top from an earlier 1921 thru 1923 larger car complete with the oval Johnston window.

DSCF0190.JPG.2006cafd06a56ca10bf67457dfd348a5.JPG DSCF1275.JPG.7238cbe117112bdc39783ba96043130e.JPGDSCF1324.JPG.0a13b5a32b60f9daa82faa5fc1bb8b96.JPG

I would say you are safe on using this top for your 1922.

It will be very close to your needs. According to the photos he posted this is a NEWER than 1919 style top he indicates. Style of 1921, 1922, 1923. As long as the length is for the bigger model 45 you should be fine. The second socket pivot shows at about midpoint of the rear socket.

The 1920 and earlier "One Man" tops show the second sockets about the same pivot point as the rear socket at the body tub. As shown below. Mark Kikta will be the go-to man for 1922 top information now

2147277730_CharlieSteffiys1919Hershey2019.jpg.1a3dc2954413bbdf87c22441f1946560.jpg

Charlie Steffy's 1919-45

1961491269_1920K-45001.jpg.56dc44a7ba7e8417e7d0b6f08bc93789.jpg

1920-K45 I offered on.

For comparison here is a photo of the sockets and bows for a "two man top".  It shows the second and front bow must be lifted and relocated to a body mount in the front seat area and reversed when folding the roof.  It's clumsy and heavy and takes two persons, last fitted to Buicks in 1915, though the 1914 and '15 big six has a "one man top".

Regards, Gary

DSC_2951.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made the 14 hour round trip and I must say, it was totally worth it. Was able to see a couple of really nice vehicles including an old tow truck.  I am now the proud owner of the top of a 6/45 with side curtains. Next step for this is to  re-canvas.   

• Like 4

Dave, 

Before you showed interest in this top, I had contacted another Buick owner in Illinois that this top was available.  He has a 1925 model 25 so this top would require some modifications to fit his car, but the modifications would be easier and cheaper to do than to fabricate from scratch.   At first I thought he was in great shape finding another top in the same state, but then I found it would be a 10 hr round trip for him as this top was in the lowest part of the state and he lived near the upper border.  I told him that these were very difficult to locate and that if he wanted a top he should move on it.  As the adage goes.  You snooze, you lose.  So congratulations on making a trip that I would have made if I were missing a top.  When you are ready to do the top installation I have the documents to help with it.    Hugh       

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure it was the same one. I probably passed his house on my way down to get it.  For me the worst part is that I work 14 hour shift then drive 14 hours more. It’s great to be young enough to still do this!! 

• Like 1

Folks can talk about the 'one man top' all they want.  Here is a photo of my 1916 D-45 and its new top.  I am here to tell you that trying to put this top up in a 'hurry up' situation is not all it's cracked up to be.  Back in the day if a person ran into

a situation where the rain hits almost immediately, you had to stop the car, take the top cover (boot) off, jump into the back seat area, raise the top, and then maybe snap the side curtains into place.  IF you were lucky enough to get this all done

before you were wringing the rainwater out of your underwear, you would know that you had been somewhere.  I don't care what people will tell you, it still takes two persons to put one of these tops up and get it right.  Ask me how I know this.

I tried putting the old top up like I described (standing in the back seat area on a clear day) and almost ended up with a hernia.  Gary Martin from Goldfield Trim built the new top for this car and it will NEVER be laid back.  I do not want any creases

in the material, plus, it so much more comfortable riding in the shade on a sunny day.  Please keep in mind that this is simply one persons humble opinion and by no means should anyone who chooses to lay their top back be ridiculed or made fun of.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P6021152.JPG

• Like 3