For Sale: 1962 PONTIAC TEMPEST sedan - $3,900 - PLYMOUTH, MA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1962 PONTIAC TEMPEST sedan - $3,900 - PLYMOUTH, MA 

1962 PONTIAC TEMPEST - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive... (craigslist.org)

Rare 1962 Pontiac Tempest Sedan. In good condition. Runs great. Engine strong. Interior in good condition. Needs new water pump, muffler, 4 new tires and electrical work.

Copy and paste in your email:  a28a218cd5463099bf22bf371208f829@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1962 PONTIAC TEMPEST sedan. 

'62 PONTIAC TEMPEST MA a.jpg

'62 PONTIAC TEMPEST MA b.jpg

'62 PONTIAC TEMPEST MA c.jpg

'62 PONTIAC TEMPEST MA d.jpg

'62 PONTIAC TEMPEST MA e.jpg

'62 PONTIAC TEMPEST MA f.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suchan said:

Seller washes the car  but can't pump up the tires for the photos?

Good-looking car, but seller could've been more specific about the electrical issues.

I'm thinking he let Mother Nature wash the car, though I could be wrong. Rain photos aside, I wasn't expecting this car to look this good condition-wise, especially at this price. Most of these tend to look pretty ragged...I guess because they can't be turned into GTO's. If it's what the seller says it is and it has a title, it might be the steal of the month. Thanks for posting this, 58L-Y8.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, suchan said:

Seller washes the car  but can't pump up the tires for the photos?

Good-looking car, but seller could've been more specific about the electrical issues.

I agree, car runs great, but not too far with two flat tires. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, m-mman said:

Doesnt say so, but would not this have the slant four engine?

These early Tempests had the Indy Four (half a 389) engine, all had unibody construction and the flexible rope driveshaft among other innovations. Kinda rare to see one today as they had a low survival rate.

I had a 62 Tempest convertable about gave it away. I always had great cars and sold them before they were in demand for small bucks! A '48 Chevy drove to the junkyard and made a whole $25.  2 '55 Chevys one I put out on the street for the city to haul off, the other a 2dr Belaire hardtop I sold for $600. '57 Chevy 2dr with Corvette 305 HP 283 for $600, 59 MGA sold for $450, '69 Dodge Super Bee and got $800 for it. I did alright on a '66 Mustang I drove until it got to be worth something. Buy the cars you like and the value is in the driving.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The 55er said:

These early Tempests had the Indy Four (half a 389) engine, all had unibody construction and the flexible rope driveshaft among other innovations. Kinda rare to see one today as they had a low survival rate.

Is this the same car with the Transmission that was built into the rear end?

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Is this the same car with the Transmission that was built into the rear end?

Yes, these are the front engine, 'rope' driveshaft, transaxle and IRS "Senior" compacts Pontiac built from 1961-'63.  

As I understand these four cylinder engines are derived from half of the Pontiac V8.  They are decent motors but they don't idle as smooth as other 4 cylinder motors.  I wasn't aware of the 'trans axle' feature.  This car is intriguing especially for $3900 bucks!  I like it.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

transaxle and IRS

With parts taken from the Corvair bin including a flip lever on the dash to shift the automatic. 

There used to be a guy in town that had a 2 door that he used for a daily driver. I talked to him at the gas station a couple of times. Thats when he pointed out about the 1/2 v8 motor and the transmission at the rear. I had never heard of either one before. Nice little car. 

These 1961-'63 Pontiac Tempest and the 1963 Lemans V8 are badly overlooked collector cars with very progressive engineering.  A local Pontiac enthusiast is restoring a 1963 Lemans convertible, tells me that the one-year-only uniqueness of that model makes parts sourcing particularly problematic.    The four cylinder versions are somewhat better in that regard but some components are practically unobtainium.  Best to buy the most complete example in the best condition, drive it easy and don't break any of those unobtainium components...

• Like 1