Jump to content

'65 power antenna questions


Recommended Posts

The original power antenna in my '65 still works but is getting old and tired.  It takes a long time to go up and down and won't retract all the way.

 

A fellow Buick friend recently sold his Riviera and had some parts he no longer needed.  He kindly gave me a working '65 power antenna.  I was so excited!   I brought the antenna home and hooked it up to my battery and confirmed that it goes up and down nicely, and much quicker than the one on my car now.

 

I'm eager to install this antenna, but before I jump into this job, a couple of questions:

 

  1. The mast when fully extended is arched in one direction.  I'm guessing this is from taking the force of the wind when fully extended.  Is there a way to straighten the mast?  Would I do this by gently bending the mast sections the other way?  Or do I risk damaging/kinking the mast from doing that?
  2. The motor section is sealed up nicely, but has external rust on the housing.  I have access to a blasting cabinet.  Should I carefully seal up the vent holes on the motor body and carefully blast off the rust, then recoat with paint?  Or should I just leave it alone, as nobody will see that part of the antenna assembly?
  3. At the base of the aerial, where it meets the fender escutcheon, there's a black plastic sleeve that covers the bottom of the mast.  This sleeve is kind of rough and pitted looking.  How do I restore this piece?  Can I sand the pits down and polish the black plastic to restore its appearance?  What would I sand it down with?  And what would I use to polish it?
  4. Any tricks or gotcha's to installing the antenna assembly?  Good to know before I jump in on this job.  

 

Thanks for your tips / advice.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do not put it in a blasting cabinet. You will never seal it up well enough to keep the grit out of the motor, which will shorten its life.

 

There are some drawings in the shop manual that you should look at before attempting the remove/replace.

 

Don't try to restore the black plastic base.  It will never look right.

 

I don't know if attempting to straighten it is a bad idea or not. Maybe talk to Barnet Eaton. He restores electric antennas.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Do not put it in a blasting cabinet. You will never seal it up well enough to keep the grit out of the motor, which will shorten its life.

 

There are some drawings in the shop manual that you should look at before attempting the remove/replace.

 

Don't try to restore the black plastic base.  It will never look right.

 

I don't know if attempting to straighten it is a bad idea or not. Maybe talk to Barnet Eaton. He restores electric antennas.

 

 

Thanks Jim.  I'll skip the blast cabinet.

 

Perhaps Barney will comment on the aerial straightening.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Good idea Ed.  

 

I'll start polling my son and his friends...

Alex,

 

Check my most recent post.  I just talked to my grandson about an hour ago.  I searched but.......

 

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chasander said:

Ed if this is the part I can send it to you

image.jpg

Thank, but I found the answers I needed. Last night my grandson took the bezel and a measured drawing I made with him so that he can come up with a working model.  Once I've seen that and give him 👍 he'll  make a few. Thank again.

Ec

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Thank, but I found the answers I needed. Last night my grandson took the bezel and a measured drawing I made with him so that he can come up with a working model.  Once I've seen that and give him 👍 he'll  make a few. Thank again.

Ec

 

Just as a heads up, the pictured insulator has been cut off so it may not be the correct length. These were prone to crack at the top and sometimes were shortened to remove the cracked portion. The top has a rounded edge. I think you can see that in the picture I took. The top sticks up above the antenna bezel exactly one inch. I didn't quite get the correct angle to show that. I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago and it was tough to juggle camera, tape and light with one arm basically useless. Maybe someone has an intact one to get the correct overall length.

 

Bill

 

 

IMG_7226.JPG

IMG_7227.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Bill for the photo - shows exactly what I was wondering about - the configuration and length of the black sleeve.

 

Hope your shoulder heals quickly and well.

 

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Thanks Bill for the photo - shows exactly what I was wondering about - the configuration and length of the black sleeve.

 

Hope your shoulder heals quickly and well.

 

Cheers!

 

Thanks for the good wishes. Glad I could help.

 

Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...