'29 door check straps

Does anyone know where I can get reasonably priced, steel /rubber door check straps? I've seen them all rubber, but the wind caught a door and broke it and a door hinge. I remember taking apart my car years ago and they were originally made of thin steel and covered in rubber. Steele Rubber seems to have these, but $175 - $200 a pair! Just wondered if anyone else knew where I could get them somewhat cheaper.

I bought some 1/4” thick leather from a saddlery for both my cars, they cut it to the perfect width and then rolled the edges for me. They work really well. I can take pictures if you want to see them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

I bought some 1/4” thick leather from a saddlery for both my cars, they cut it to the perfect width and then rolled the edges for me. They work really well. I can take pictures if you want to see them. 

I'd love to see them when you have the time...I've see leather ones on the little "footman loops".....my rubber ones are T-shaped....the "T" fits inside the door and screwed down ends are secured w/ a metal piece and 2 screws.

39 minutes ago, Vintageben said:

For my 29 Chrysler 65 sedan I got mine from vintagecarparts.co.uk they work well. These guys ship all over the world I was probably lucky as I ordered them when the Aussie dollar was strong

5369B93E-14F3-43D9-ADDB-1F2F804F38F6.png

Thanks! Those look nice!

• Like 1

Bob, I used some flat belt material, used on some farm machinery. I riveted the metal cross piece (as in photos above) to it then covered the strap with large electrical shrink sleeve, because I did not think the strap looked that good in its natural state.

It is nice and stiff, so pushes into the door nicely and does not "kink".  I bought the strap from my bearing/machinery parts supply place an the shrink sleeve from an electrical goods supplier that supplies to the trades.

Good luck, John

DSC00858m.jpg

• Like 1

Ron,it is about 4mm thick and flat. It is just normal flat belting used on stationary engines, machinery etc. comes in various thicknesses though, as well as widths of course. What I used was a bit wider, but cut down OK to the size I wanted. Being belting, it is very strong and good for when you want to put screws through it or whatever.

13 hours ago, Bob Zetnick said:

I'd love to see them when you have the time...I've see leather ones on the little "footman loops".....my rubber ones are T-shaped....the "T" fits inside the door and screwed down ends are secured w/ a metal piece and 2 screws.

These are what I used. Seems to be working well. 

9289436B-9415-4E82-AED0-F04837507528.png

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, Bullfrog_eng said:

Bob, I used some flat belt material, used on some farm machinery. I riveted the metal cross piece (as in photos above) to it then covered the strap with large electrical shrink sleeve, because I did not think the strap looked that good in its natural state.

It is nice and stiff, so pushes into the door nicely and does not "kink".  I bought the strap from my bearing/machinery parts supply place an the shrink sleeve from an electrical goods supplier that supplies to the trades.

Good luck, John

DSC00858m.jpg

That's a good idea! I know that belting is strong.