favorite tires?

I am looking into new tires for my new car (1925 Cadillac) for its big trip home.  I know of Coker,  Has anyone bought from Blockley Tyre company England?  Are there any other great tire companies I should look at?

27 Day till the big adventure starts.

Kurt Zimmerle

Petoskey MI.

1925 Cadillac v63

1954 Cadillac 75 series

1973 Cadillac Hearse

2010 Cadillac CTS4

There are more than a few discussions floating around the forum on this subject.    I would be interested in learning about European vintage tire manufacturers.    I could be wrong,  but in the US,  almost all vintage tires originate through Coker some how.   

Tubes are a bigger problem than tires.   I have had 2 sets of 19/20 inch tubes on backorder for 5 months.

Coker,Lucus,and Universal is the primary 3 firms here...but dig into them and Coker has ties to Lucus and Universal in the long run .

They all should carry your size in limited sellection fom one offering to maybe 3?

Your wonderful old Caddy I believe takes 33 x 5 tires originally and no matter what American brand ( not nessessarily American made)you get here in vintage tires of that size they 99.9%  came from the same company/factory overseas and quality in the end would most likely be same of any at any given time..

Euro tire offerings I wouldn't know about and the only comments I would make is the Euro tires have the Euro look ,seem of excellent quality which = pricer then U.S. offerings and many lean more toward performace like rubber tread that you want for your '29 Bently racing tourer.

If your the type who would like to say"I have imported European tires on my 1925 Cadillac" great! 

But for me...Any Euro rubber "jest don't seem right.......some how" on an American automobile of your Cadillac's socical standing and era.

Ha!   One U.K. site. "Longstone Vintage Cars Tyers" Were pushing Lucas brand 33 x 5 rubber and BF Goodrich named and treaded rubber.

Not bad looking tires.

Maybe nothing much 33x5 in Euro rubber anyway?

Kurt’s car is equipped with later, (‘26-‘27) Cadillac wheels and 7:00x21 tires. He would like to drive his car extensively, and tire quality is important. Blockley tires are of the very highest quality available. They look more period correct than the modern looking tread on my ancient Lesters. Available in 7:00x21, the Blockleys on this 1926 Speed Six Bentley frequently see 100+ mph, and in the eyes of this beholder, look period compatible. Check flap and tube availability. Total price may come in under the bill for inferior bubble gum made in who-knows-where.     -     Carl. 

795A9987-440B-4541-887E-2512C1DF41FA.jpeg

D94EB0DF-4551-41DF-963F-28192CBC5F62.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

" 100 plus mph "   is a ride I would enjoy in that car. Way ta go!!

Ben

Hi Ben,

yeah, the owner told me the old machine just loafs along at 90 turning 1800 rpm. But I didn’t get a ride.   -   Carl 

I just added this picture. Good insight into big mid-1920s high performance cars.

59F741C1-9E34-4D59-B823-407616AA11E9.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add picture (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kurt has ordered 7:00x21 Lesters. Blockley could not deliver in time. I bought my Lesters for the ‘24 30 years ago. They still seem just fine to me. 40 psi front, 36 rear. The Lesters were on the ‘27 when I bought it, and I figure they are at least 20 years old. Any comments regarding the quality of current production vs. decades past  ? And tube concerns ?     -     Carl 

I can tell you current production of tires is terrible. I have purchased at least 20 sets of six tires for our cars in the last five years......probably more. The failure rate is ridiculous...........the white walls as well as black walls. Fortunately, we get them warranted easily. The fail standing still..........Just before I left for Amelia, a tire with less than 300 miles on it started coming apart. We won’t even talk about shitty tubes leaking air, ripping at the seam, incorrect fit, and poor availability. It’s asinine what has happened when all tires now come from one source.

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

I can tell you current production of tires is terrible. The failure rate is ridiculous. We won’t even talk about shitty tubes leaking air, ripping at the seam, It’s asinine what has happened when all tires now come from one source.

I think of just this when people are urged to dump good usable old tires and tubes because they just may not be dependable, thinking old Sears Allstate or Wards tires. Old tubes work great until they fail also! 

1 minute ago, JFranklin said:

I think of just this when people are urged to dump good usable old tires and tubes because they just may not be dependable, thinking old Sears Allstate or Wards tires. Old tubes work great until they fail also! 

Isn't that how it always is?

I have found that with many sizes, modern truck tubes are a better choice. More availability, better construction. I don't know that there are any 21-inch truck tires out there, but it might be worth exploring with a heavy truck tire center. Fortunately, we have one up the street that always helps me out (they have a widowmaker cage for mounting snap rings, too). I don't know how bit those giant truck tires are, but they might have something that would fit a tall, skinny old car wheel as well. [Redacted] always has spotty availability and the tubes are about the thickness of toilet paper.