1931 Dodge Brothers Sedan For Sale

Hey All,

My family and I are moving soon, and we need to create some space in our garage.

We have a 1931 Dodge Brothers Sedan

Totally Dependable Flathead 6 Cylinder engine. Needs minor interior restoration and brakes but everything is there and secure. Runs and drives well. No time for our own restoration so all yours for this price, $9985. Call for test drive. 203-354-4641 any day until 11:00 PM, price is negotiable.    

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, Dr. Hedberg.

To be blunt, you need better photos. To my eye, the car just looks neglected, and neglected 90 year old cars aren't what most buyers are looking for.

Clean it up. Offer images with an attractive background. Include interior and engine bay photos.

It's a handsome car, and Dodges are good runners. Good luck with the sale.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Finally got a one-month break from work and would like to proceed with sale of this nicely-running automobile.  Think Elliot Ness and the Untouchables, or at least some dirt farmer heading west during the depression.  It's a good car, the price is negotiable and there aren't many left.  A little body and component work and you have a nice, peppy Dec 1930 Dodge Brothers sedan.  203-956-4875

With all due respect, "Create some space in our garage?"  Let's be honest, it looks like it has been sitting outside for what, decades?  A location will help!  Try Craigslist and you may find a local buyer for about 1/4 or 1/3 of your asking price...  Good luck with the sale.

• Like 1

So, everybody's a comedian?   Why is everyone petrified of a few patches of surface rust and some 2020 autumn leaves?   This is a nice 'mobile and I've had her up to 63 MPH on the Merritt Parkway.  We're in coastal Connecticut near Stamford and this cutie has only been out of the garage since November, and then carefully covered with a waterproof tarp.  We'll post some new photos this weekend, but I'd certainly like to sell her before we move to the new place.  Make an offer and no further attacks on her integrity please...she's a strong but very sensitive old girl.

• Like 1

As a Dodge Brothers Club member I can tell you just from the club roster that there are many left, especially the ubiquitous four door sedan model.  The car may run well, but how old are those tires?  Has it been sitting under that blue tarp (a perfect moisture trap) since November with the front window open and the driver’s window down?  A nice one of these cars (and I love them, having a 32 sedan that I am restoring) brings between nine and fifteen thousand on a really good day.  I bought mine eight years ago (in about the same shape as yours) when the market was much stronger for four thousand.  A 31 sedan here in town with side mounts in a bit better shape than yours just went for four thousand five hundred and it took almost a year to sell.  You can ask what you want, but the folks here know the market and are merely trying to point out that your asking price is wildly optimistic.  No one is disparaging your car, just trying to bring you back to reality.

Dear Taylormade,

Thanks for the input on pricing.  As I noted, she'll be priced to sell, anyone's free to make an offer.  Stand by for some new photos this weekend, and yes the driver's window has been closed and the car kept dry enough.  So no spotting on the paint and no perceivable change in the rust quotient.  203-956-4875.

Thanks Jack,

Yes, alas the left front fender has a v-dent in it but the rest of the car is pristine body-wise.  The plywood on top is to hold the tarp in place and shield the canvas roofing these cars had.  stand by and I'll be posting a few more detailed pics this weekend.

Best wishes,

Tom 203-956-4875

Dr. Hedberg.... We are not devaluing your car..... we are looking at it closely... and noticing that it has plywood on the roof and that it is parked with the windows open.... and that those cheap blue, woven plastic tarps leak and last only a few months outside..... The car may run well... but the condition of the body, and probably the interior/roof... show us that the market value is about half of the $10,000 you are asking.....  If you Truly want to sell 'her' before you move..... place your ads here and on Craigslist for $5K.... and see what type of response you get.... Believe it or not.... we are trying to help you sell your car.... while trying to give you a realistic idea of the market value of such a car...... I bought this flawless 1928 dodge for $5k.... a few years ago... it was in mush better condition than yours.... Best of luck with your sale...

dodge3.jpg

dodge 4.jpg

Edited by sunnybaba
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ki Sunnybaba,

Wow, She's a beaut! ...and you got all that for $5K?  Lucky you.

Although I have to say, not being an intimate with the old car hobby, that it seems these gems are hugely undervalued.  When millions of Americans are glad to pay upward of six times your price ($30K) for a Chinese-made box of short-lived electronics that still sits on 4 wheels, gets you there at pretty much the same speed, still drinks a gallon of gas every few miles, will probably wind up on the junkpile in 10 years and looks like a bird-dropping, something's amiss.

I wonder if these ancient and beautiful 'mobiles are quite as cheap in Europe where where much of everything got pretty much bombed to scrap during the war?

Thanks for the photos, you really have a lovely work of art.

Best,

Tom

You say Europe .I am from Belgium and i can tell you that the people who buy and knew  those cars are to old or gone to heaven  and many of these cars come for sale now down here because that generation is stopping to drive cars .The hottest cars here now are mustangs and porsches because people with a midlife crisis could not buy them when they was young and only could afford a bike .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dr. Thomas G. Hedberg said:

it seems these gems are hugely undervalued.  When millions of Americans are glad to pay upward of six times your price ($30K) for a Chinese-made box of short-lived electronics that still sits on 4 wheels,

I may get offensive to some out there?

Unfortunately, most people today are sheep. They want to buy what someone tells them they should want buy. They do not care about nor appreciate history, and couldn't care less if all antique automobiles were buried in the dump.

However, that is the world we live in. And prices for the more common or lesser condition antique automobiles reflect that.

PS, I have been in the hobby since I was fifteen, nearly 55 years ago.