64 BUICK SKYLARK TRUNK-HELP

papafarms

HEY EVERYONE, I HAVE A 64 BUICK SKYLARK CONVERTIBLE AND THE TRUNK WILL NOT STAY UP, WHEN I BOUGHT IT, IT WAS LIKE THAT, THERE IS A ROD THAT RUNS THE LENGTH OF THE TRUNK THAT FITS SOMEWHERE?  DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE OF THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE TRUNK MECHANISM , I MAY BE MISSING A PART OR MORE I DON'T KNOW, ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED, AS ALWAYS THANKS BOB

There should be two torsion bars for your trunk lid, and the run across the car.   They hook into the trunk lid and then into (usually) a three step bracket which allows one to adjust the tension needed for the particular lid.  The problem may be that torsion rods for a convertible may be different from the rest of the models (this is from conversations about a 1958 Chevrolet and may not apply to Buicks of any age).   I will try to get a picture of my '69 in a little bit and post it later.

20210516_093323.jpg

The picture above shows two things.  One is the rod attached to the pass side hinge. That rod then travels to the drivers side and hooks into a similar bracket as the other rod shown to the right side of the hinge in this picture.  The picture below just shows the two rods which criss-cross along the way about the middle of the car.

20210516_093251.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JOHN, THANKS FOR THE PICS, I BELIEVE I AM MISSING A PART, I HAVE THE TWO RODS, BUT THE END OF THE ONE HOOKS INTO A ROLLER SIMILAR TO A GARAGE DOOR ROLLER THAT THEN ROLLS ON THE INSIDE OF THE HINGE OF THE TRUNK, BUT YOUR PICTURES HAVE HELPED OUT ALOT, THE ONE ROD WAS PUT IN THE WRONG WAY SO IT DOES HELP ME, THANKS A LOT, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE REPLY AND PICS, THANKS BOB

@papafarms  glad to help Bob.  That's interesting about the roller.  I would like to see what you have there.  I am no expert but being a torsion spring I don't understand how it can roll along the hinge since it would seem every degree it moved changes it's ability to function.  I'm not questioning you, just interested to see how this is set up.  

• 1 year later...

I am about to endeavor on the trunk torsion rod adventure. Thanks for the pictures.

So far on my 64 skylark I have not figured out where the "hook " end goes. Just now discovered that in the 64-65 A body GM this is a trunk hinge tension rod roller.

Have not been able to find a reproduction.

A body trunk rod roller.jpg