1966 Riviera hideaway headlights

Bryan C. Robertson

Most likely a vacuum leak or complete loss of vacuum. Could possibly be the vacuum relay valve or a vacuum check valve.

It will require some contortions and likely swearing, but you have to trace the vacuum tubing back from the actuator at the grilles to the vacuum storage tank and engine vacuum source. Also from the relay valve back to the headlight switch. No component is beyond suspicion. Hint: listen for a hiss especially inside the car.

The 1966 Buick CSM will be invaluable. The vacuum tubing layout should be in it.

If you have a failed component and can't find replacements, electric conversion kits are available. 

Don't feel alone. We Toronado guys put up with the same failures! At least your lights are in operating position. When ours fail it's the GRILLES that are down, covering the headlights!

Thanks for the advice.  I just spent some time looking into the problem and have narrowed it down.  The hideaways on the 66 Riviera are mechanical (yay!) Actuated by a motor similar to the window motors.  Tomorrow I will check all fuses and do a voltage test.  If fuses arw good and 12v are going to the motor then the motor is toast and the fix is simple, kinda.  Just have to find a replacement motor and I should be gtg.