Decal Placement '66 LeSabre 340/4bbl

Guest Teamsterdug

Guest Teamsterdug

Anyone know if there are supposed to be decals on the valve covers on a '66 LeSabre, 340c.i. w/4bbl carb. I see some listed in the CARS catalog. They list a silver and black "340-4" decal for '66. If there is supposed to be some and anyones got pictures it would be a great help. Thanks.

Guest Reatta1

Different trim piece, same engine. Does anyone know where to get the insert that goes on the top of the air cleaner on the 66 340/4\?

Guest Teamsterdug

Reatta1 (Jim), Looks like CARS doesn't have the air cleaner I.D.'s listed. They show 401's and 425's available but alas nothing for 340's. And apparently they've cataloged the valve cover decals in error as being correct for 1966. Guess I had better take good care of my original air cleaner I.D. plate huh? By the way what's with the plugs in the valve covers on each side? See attached. Pardon the dirty engine. Haven't got around to cleaning it up yet. It's been about 10 degrees around here.

On the air cleaner decals, which are thin metal plates, these are not available.

You can get a stick-on "Wildcat 375" decal from Jim Carpenter Reproductions. And, you could buy a metal plate of the correct size from a Oldsmobile source for their Cutlass engines, and stick the 375 decal over it. I researched this a couple of years ago.

Correction - that's Jim Osborn reproductions

www.osborn-reproduction.com

Don't know why that 340 has a plug hole on the right valve cover. Mine doesn't, and I know it's factory original. Never saw one like this....

The hole in the front of the left valve cover is where a duct goes to the air filter in 1966 California-destined cars. That was CA's first year for emission equipment (besides the PCV valve we all had).

For the other 49 states we didn't require that duct, so ours came with the rubber plug. Still have no idea why you have that right cover. Mine is metal ribbed up to the front. Thanks for the pictures.

Guest Reatta1

Yellowlark,

Checked that decal site. Did not find a 'Wildcat 375' decal listed. Several listings for 66 air cleaner decals but no description that I could determine to be the correct one. Any tips for finding it?

Jim

I bought mine from Jim Osborne at the 1999 Spring Carlisle event. Had them in his inventory there. The "Wildcat 375" decal was a perfect match to the original metal plate.

You're right that the online catalog doesn't show them, but I would suggest that you call Osborne and ask if he still has one.