65 Riv sail lights

Kevrev

These lamp sockets need a backing plate.  IMG_20210515_124151115.jpg.4cf7f4d20a7c2ebf17642d18c4123668.jpg

IMG_20210515_124205591.jpg.d4bf8c47e54bc8a70b7504c6c4a916c9.jpg

The screws go through the bezel into the two tabs that are set at an angle.  I don't know if the bezel and the backing plate just sandwich the light in place or if the backing plates are secured to the sail panel.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

These lamp sockets need a backing plate.  IMG_20210515_124151115.jpg.4cf7f4d20a7c2ebf17642d18c4123668.jpg

IMG_20210515_124205591.jpg.d4bf8c47e54bc8a70b7504c6c4a916c9.jpg

The screws go through the bezel into the two tabs that are set at an angle.  I don't know if the bezel and the backing plate just sandwich the light in place or if the backing plates are secured to the sail panel.

Hmm none in my collection of parts, only things were these clips Pictured, that look like slot into side of the lights

20210516_111040[1].jpg

Hmmm! You need to dig deeper.  The clip you pictured is for mounting a trim panel to a body.  My sail panels are someone’s concoction of an original.  I took the lamps out but don’t remember exactly how the were attached. I think the bezel and the bracket sandwiched the sail panel between them then the two were screwed together tightly securing the lamp assembly to the sail panel. I do know that the same brackets are screwed to the console.  Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

Hmmm! You need to dig deeper.  The clip you pictured is for mounting a trim panel to a body.  My sail panels are someone’s concoction of an original.  I took the lamps out but don’t remember exactly how the were attached. I think the bezel and the bracket sandwiched the sail panel between them then the two were screwed together tightly securing the lamp assembly to the sail panel. I do know that the same brackets are screwed to the console.  Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

Ed, you are correct about the console brackets. They are attached directly to the outside of the console with screws that screw into the plastic of the console. The picture I have shows the console version with the same brackets and screws as shown above. I am not sure about the sail panels. I can check mine later today. I can't imagine they would be that much different as they utilize the same light bezel/fixture.

Bill

IMG_6981.JPG

On 5/14/2021 at 7:24 PM, Kevrev said:

Hi Mate, Does anyone know what holds these lights in the sails. Is there some sort of clip1744643644_20210515_1017031.jpg.19fa298c48031bb7148506fa2566d327.jpg

20210515_101708[1].jpg

Mystery solved. I checked my sail panel lights. The light assembly is held in place by a philips head screw. There is a pre drilled hole in the inner metal of the roof that it screws into. The clips (like the one you found) for attaching the sail panel also go into holes in the metal of the inner roof. 

Bill

IMG_7146.JPG

IMG_7147.JPG

• Like 2

[Here's a picture of the metal behind the sail panel.  There is only one mounting hole drilled into the metal. I checked both sides of my 64 and they're identical; the screw hole is at the back towards the rear window. This picture is of the passenger's side. IMG_20210516_124241725.jpg.bb4033d931b4e0024f7f87fc6311558f.jpg

• 8 months later...

Trying to get my sail panel lights installed today and was confused until I read this thread . Am I understanding that the sail panel lights do NOT use the bracket but only the bezel and are secured by a single Phillips head screw to the rear metal that the sail panel mounts on  …..whereas  the bracket is used and mounted on the outside of the console courtesy lights when they are installed ?.. Sounds like Bill and Ed have it solved …… if above is a correct assumption , suspect I’m going to have to carve a little cardboard out of the repro sail panels to get to that pre drilled hole (from Clarks which are unfortunately already installed but can be removed if necessary )

Thanks for help.

KReed

ROA 14549

9 hours ago, kreed said:

Trying to get my sail panel lights installed today and was confused until I read this thread . Am I understanding that the sail panel lights do NOT use the bracket but only the bezel and are secured by a single Phillips head screw to the rear metal that the sail panel mounts on  …..whereas  the bracket is used and mounted on the outside of the console courtesy lights when they are installed ?.. Sounds like Bill and Ed have it solved …… if above is a correct assumption , suspect I’m going to have to carve a little cardboard out of the repro sail panels to get to that pre drilled hole (from Clarks which are unfortunately already installed but can be removed if necessary )

Thanks for help.

KReed

ROA 14549

Ken,

You are correct. No bracket on sail panels. Brackets used on the console.

Bill