Horn blowing when turning - 1958 - tips?

lancemb

Hi all, 

Has anyone had this issue, and how did you fix it?  The horn works as it should with the contact ring, but also comes on sporadically when steering wheel is turning.

I assume the wire is twisting and it is shorting inside the column somewhere, but I don't know what it might take to get to it, or if there is a typical spot this occurs?

Any advice from prior experience would be appreciated!

Lance & John

Over time those slits are stress cracks in the copper horn contact piece, originally this was a solid piece. I machined one from a solid brass piece for one of my cars. The cracks cause the copper to raise up and touch the steering shaft and that is why the horn blows when the wheel is turned. The turning of the wheel moves the copper piece away from the opening and that grounds to the inside of the steering column. 

It is a lot of work to fix, but a little easier on the 58 as you don't have to take the brake pedal off. 

John your post was very helpful and well done. 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My solution on both of my '58 Buicks (horn had failed in both cases) was to intercept the horn ground wire where it approaches the steering column and connect it to an invisible little horn button mounted on the metal cover on the underside of the steering column. This is about a one hour task and cost of $10. The horn will blow when you want it to, just not from the horn ring. 

Bill in Luray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, Bill Shields said:

My solution on both of my '58 Buicks (horn had failed in both cases) was to intercept the horn ground wire where it approaches the steering column and connect it to an invisible little horn button mounted on the metal cover on the underside of the steering column. This is about a one hour task and cost of $10. The horn will blow when you want it to, just not from the horn ring. 

Bill in Luray

Bill, funny you say that because this was already done when I got the car!  It works, so this is yet another reason it's not a high priority.  However, if I were to keep the car long term it would bug the s@!t out of me not to put horn ring back to.work.