Cowl vent weatherstrip material

a griffin

For late 20's to early to mid 30's cars, what was the standard weatherstrip material for cowl vents? Was it the extruded foam/rubber that we see on 50s and 60s cars or was it something different? Asphalt impregnated cloth like whats used for cowl bands? Something else?

Not looking for assumptions or guesses as I do plenty of that and get more things wrong than right with that approach.

I have never seen the asphalt impregnated cloth used for that on many many cars of the era that you mention , be they factory bodies or custom bodied. This is not an assumption or guess on my part but examining original cars as built. The Derham Body Co. at least in 1931 used a deep U shaped channel built into the cowl that let the vent fit into it and the vent edges were deep as well plus there was at least two metal drain tubes that came from the two lowest corners of that area to drain the water away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I have never seen the asphalt impregnated cloth used for that on many many cars of the era that you mention , be they factory bodies or custom bodied. This is not an assumption or guess on my part but examining original cars as built. The Derham Body Co. at least in 1931 used a deep U shaped channel built into the cowl that let the vent fit into it and the vent edges were deep as well plus there was at least two metal drain tubes that came from the two lowest corners of that area to drain the water away.

You are correct, but what was used to create a watertight fit to prevent water from seeping into the interior of a car? Be it installed on the cowl or the vent door itself.

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

I’d say it depends on make, model, body/coach builder.

Some cars of that era had no or very little weatherstripping”, including doors, trunk lids or cowl vents, etc.

Are we talking about American or European, Economy or Luxury, Coach Built or Mass Produced, etc... ? 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TTR said:

I’d say it depends on make, model, body/coach builder.

Some cars of that era had no or very little weatherstripping”, including doors, trunk lids or cowl vents, etc.

Are we talking about American or European, Economy or Luxury, Coach Built or Mass Produced, etc... ? 

33 Lincoln Murray built

13 minutes ago, a griffin said:

33 Lincoln Murray built

I would look into OEM parts/service manuals and/or current listings by various suppliers to confirm what, if anything, was used and/or is available.

Asking generic/unspecified questions on forums is less likely to provide accurate answers.

• Thanks 1

You see the overflow trough with drain hole,so sealing wasn't close to perfect.

Some manufacturers did use a rubber gasket..but the rubber then for the gasket was an all "natural" compound formula and was very,very flexible and compressible and would last a long time...

Many times a heavy felt material  used in places like firewall to body seal and wood floor boards to wood or metal sills for drafts and wet but not used at a cowl vent.

A friend used simple closed cell sponge  rubber gasket matetial ..a bit denser then the home draft seal stuff with sticky back..though that would work.

You will figure out what works and looks good to you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TTR said:

I would look into OEM parts/service manuals and/or current listings by various suppliers to confirm what, if anything, was used and/or is available.

Asking generic/unspecified questions on forums is less likely to provide accurate answers.

Thanks but that approach doesn't necessarily work on marquees without an aftermarket or reproduction following. As for how my question was asked, I felt it was not so generic, as asked what material was used in that era, either way, thanks again. Have a good weekend.

Upscale cars like your Lincoln often have drain troughs and rubber hose routed through kick panels and down past frame, as in my 1930 and 1934 Pierces, neither of which has any rubber gasketing.  Your photo indicates that there may be room for closed cell foam that isn't too thick.  How closely a painted vent fits flush into a painted recess will determine how much thickness and "crushability" will be required.

Your best answer will come from another Lincoln Club member/owner.  I, for one, was rather put off by your initial post comment that assumptions and guesswork were unwelcome, but since you haven't been unduly exercised by the comments to date, I thought I'd offer this for whatever help it may or may not afford.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Grimy said:

Upscale cars like your Lincoln often have drain troughs and rubber hose routed through kick panels and down past frame, as in my 1930 and 1934 Pierces, neither of which has any rubber gasketing.  Your photo indicates that there may be room for closed cell foam that isn't too thick.  How closely a painted vent fits flush into a painted recess will determine how much thickness and "crushability" will be required.

Your best answer will come from another Lincoln Club member/owner.  I, for one, was rather put off by your initial post comment that assumptions and guesswork were unwelcome, but since you haven't been unduly exercised by the comments to date, I thought I'd offer this for whatever help it may or may not afford.

Your response is well taken. You have the experience in what your cars came with and, with that, is not a guess. I've had my hands on a few pierces in the past and appreciate the strong following and the work the society puts into supporting the members.  It wasn't my intention to put anyone off, I've just seen too many reponses to questions online that were obviously answered by people that had no experience working on cars. I was trying to prevent answers like, " my cousin's next door neighbor knew this guy who used roofing mastic and he said it seemed to work" and other nonsense like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

Neither have I, but sometimes manufacturers will leave you shaking your head. I've seen foam/rubber like what is used post war vehicles and some sort of petrified rubber on prewar cars. Just trying to nail down what was most common in the era.

Check with Jeff at Restoration Specialties and he can send you samples of sponge rubber to try that should suffice. You can also look at their catalog online. They have several different profiles of extrusions made for these applications, it will depend on the depth and width of the channel. Their phone is 814-467-9842.

23 hours ago, hook said:

Here's a cross section the rubber seal on my 1930 & 1931 Franklin. When the cowl closes it seals against the lip that stick up.

Cowl seal 1.jpg

Cowl seal 2.JPG

I think I have a more exact answer to your question concerning the material used for the vent seal on late 20’s and 30’s automobiles. As a Franklin automobile owner and club member we have access to The Franklin Automobile Company drawings. While looking for something else I stumbled across this drawing. Now it’s true that not all automobile manufacturers used the same thing that Franklin used, but the fact that it was used on a 1930 and newer Franklins at least proves that the material was available and used on automobiles of the times. So take a look at the drawing and the material the part is made from. A 145 & 147 are 1930 Franklins.

Bill 

001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1