Unknown gauge

JO BO

Posted (edited)

An elegant timepiece for sure! Jaeger made all kinds of high quality gauges for the European market- I've had them in English, French and Italian cars. In a few of those cars, those gauges were the best part of them!

Here's a clock like yours (with the trim bezel aligned correctly- yours is slightly askew...) nestled in the dashboard of a 1934 Delage D8.   Because Jaeger wasnt tied to one specific manufacturer, it could have also been OEM for several other contemporary makes across several countries, but it definitely dates from that pre-WWII era.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/delage/1934-delage-d8-s-cabriolet-ar171841.html

77A7A3AB-E7CD-4C5F-9C32-9BFD3D35404D.jpeg.859d0810b8c203255eaf86690606c5f9.jpeg

delage_d8s_cabriolet_par_fernandez_darrin_80.jpeg

Edited by dustycrusty (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, dustycrusty said:

Here's a clock like yours (with the trim bezel aligned correctly- yours is slightly askew...) nestled in the dashboard of a 1934 Delage D8. 

I don't believe its "askew".  The bulbs to illuminate it at night hide directly behind the wider areas of the reflective chromed bezel, which help disperse the light evenly across the clock face.

Craig

• Like 1

Both of these Jaeger car clocks are Cadillac,late 20's and early 30's. They are from the Jaeger Clock Co in New York but made in Switzerland. I believe that Fabrique en Suisse says Made In Switzerland. So that clock could be about anything but more likely one of the more obscure makes from GM like Oakland.

IMG_0963.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sagefinds said:

Both of these Jaeger car clocks are Cadillac,late 20's and early 30's. They are from the Jaeger Clock Co in New York but made in Switzerland. I believe that Fabrique en Suisse says Made In Switzerland. So that clock could be about anything but more likely one of the more obscure makes from GM like Oakland.

IMG_0963.JPG

Whoever turned that clock in the foreground into a desk piece must have been inspired by the 1930's Art Deco Sparton "Bluebird" radio!

7ba68ac638a403fc5b9fab7267938c81.jpg

On 5/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, sagefinds said:

If it was Swiss Made, it would have been for a higher end car.

Most seem to forget Swiss timepieces were considered to be the finest in the world until the digital age came along in the 1980's.  Clever marketing with the 'Swatch' brand did keep that image alive for a few years after that.

Craig

On 5/15/2021 at 6:12 AM, dustycrusty said:

Whoever turned that clock in the foreground into a desk piece must have been inspired by the 1930's Art Deco Sparton "Bluebird" radio!

7ba68ac638a403fc5b9fab7267938c81.jpg

An old craftsman over in Utah was doing some restoration work for me in exchange for some parts I had that he wanted,that clock was sitting on the shelf at his place and I was able to talk him out of it. I don't think it was inspired by anything except his ability to do things like that. Me being a Cadillac guy,I was glad to get it and it's a keeper.