Park light

ToxicRyno

Hi, I’ve searched a lot on this topic but still can’t find anything that works. So I need someone’s help, my car (1988 reatta) park light turns on when I turn on the head lights but won’t shut off when the lights turn off. Sometimes it does work if I turn the car off then turn the lights off, but not all the time. The fog lamp button doesn’t seem to help (I’ve read people saying that helps) and I’ve replaced the relay, the only thing I haven’t really done is try and replace the actual button, which it might be, I feel the button engage once I turn them on, but trying to use the park button to turn them off it doesn’t give that click. 

9 hours ago, padgett said:

Do the lights turn off with the ignition off if you open the door ? Could be the RAP.

No they do not. The park light is also on when the ignition is on and shuts off when the car does but if I turn the head lights on it has the problem of not shutting off. 

On 5/13/2021 at 6:07 PM, DAVES89 said:

I believe there is a fog light switch on the console as well.

Yeah, sorry if I wasn’t clear, that was the one I was referring too. If it’s on or off it still has the same issue

The most common part to go bad in the '88-89 Reattas is the headlight switch module and the most common problem is when you push the off button the parking lights stay on. Try, instead of, pushing the off button, hit is sharply with your finger or the eraser end of a pencil.

For twenty years i have suggested a person does not purchase a used headlight switch on ebay or from  even a junk yard unless the seller can guarantee all functions of the switch are in good working condition.

These switches are a very complicated arrangement of sliders, contacts and even some hidden contacts.

I rebuild all years of headlight switches and do have a tested good one available for all years.

• Like 1