1969 Pontiac GTO Convertible Green Manual Transmission

Since this was my car as a kid (except mine was Liberty Blue)  I know a little about them.   Somebody smarter than me explain the 20 watchers on this auction?

I could see a market at 15-20k.  Not 45k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Pontiac-GTO-there-/203446886047

his is an original 4 speed car with 64k original miles that has been stored for years with History as follows

Protect Plate

Original bill of sale

Original dealer delivery checklist

Build sheet most likely still in car

Service records

2 owner car

Not driven since 80’s

Engine runs but has bearing knock

This car is a Rare true numbers matching 4 Speed car with great documentation.

The top is electric and functions perfectly with no rust issues on top

The floor pans are incredible

Lower rear quarters need repairs

Coke bottle body is in great condition otherwise the doors have zero sag and open and close like New!

This is a super car for a well documented RESTORE

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

I watch a lot of auctions just to see what happens. Even the no-sales are a data point. It isn't that I'm necessarily a buyer on the car, I'm just paying attention to the market. My watch list is full of stuff that doesn't interest me on a personal level but that I figure should probably pay attention to it just to be better at my job.

But yeah, can't argue with you on the price. WTF? You can buy a pretty good finished car for about that much.

• Like 1

Hmmm?

I am a GTO fan and a 4 speed convertible should ring the bell.  But at this price there's not much hope. The rust through on the upper inner fenders and deck lid say the body man gets most of the profit here.  Car has already been repainted at some point in a non-Pontiac color.  And I believe the "Coke bottle" reference was used for the 1966/67 body style.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

My 69 in Liberty Blue with Cragars.   My 68 is in the background.  I almost got tossed out of the house when I dragged that home. 

GTO-1.jpg

Nice pair! I'd gladly pay $45k for both!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Nice pair! I'd gladly pay $45k for both!!

I paid 325 bucks for the convertible.  It was 11 years old, rusted,  and had been sitting for two years outside with no nose after a front end  crash.   The oil fill cover on the valve covers was missing from both sides and there was rocks in the valve train.   My dad,  a lawyer by trade, stick welded the entire car back together again for me.   My buddy Byard Libby (who is still in business) did motor and the finish body work in his chicken coup out behind his mom's house in the dead of winter.  I helped,  it would take an hour for the pot belly stove to get the temp up.     Sold it when I was in college to a local kid and never saw it again.   You would NOT want this car.

The 68 came out of Smith's junk yard in Clinton Mass.   I had to borrow half the 400 bucks from my girlfriend.   My dad lost his mind when I dumped it in his driveway.  Sold it a year or so later to a buddy who drove it home with no plates.   It sat in his yard for a year when he sold it to another buddy.   Required a roll back to get it this time,   while they were winching it on to the truck the frame snapped in half.   Straight to the junk yard.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

😁 Been there.  Wait, that still happens - 40 years later. Must be why I keep getting big cars.  More room to sleep?

My wife is awfully accommodating - so far.   As someone who has watched my kids drag home non-car crap that I know I'm going to get stuck with,  I'm understanding now.

What is funny, is he got twice as pissed when I dragged home a fully rebuilt early 50s era horizontal air compressor and stuffed it in the shed.   This was much better than his crappy vertical one but took up 3 times the room.  I still have it,  completely hooked up and I've never actually used it once.

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, Jim Skelly said:

The coke bottle reference is dumb on ANY car.

I wonder how many old collectibles use coke bottles as a reference? There are vintage Smith and Wesson revolvers that are sometimes equipped with desirable wooden "coke bottle" target grips, as opposed to non-coke bottle target grips...and it can be kind of difficult to tell the difference between the two.