Two Model A Ford questions:

TomTIII

t to put a voltage reducer on my '30 which was converted to 12 v.   This will be a 12 to 6v for the Sparton horn.  I took the cover off, & there's  ; no wiring leads... where does the original Sparton wiring hook up inside?

cover off horn (1).JPG

31 rear brake.jpg

How much current in amps can your voltage reducer supply?  Horns are typically power hungry devices so your step down converter has to be able to handle the load.

I suspect the connections are the two screws next to the coil in your picture but I am not a model A guy so I’m not going to say that as any kind of expert.  You could use the ohms resistance function of a multi meter to measure the resistance of that coil to get a feel for them being the power connection spot.  It will also help determine how many amps the horn will draw at 6v.

Can you post a close up picture of the piece with the coil in the center?  I’m going on the assumption that is part of the horn or is that the reducer?  Again I’m not a model A guy but I have a background in electric.

The 2 wires plug into a slot on each side of the insulator connection where the two field coils wires terminate.. The proper wires have a crimped on and some times soldered on nipple with a bit of a groove to be caught by the brass spring connectors on each side of the insulator.

Easy peasy

0513212029.jpg

The A had a bullet end on the wire that was held into the contact by friction, see cropped picture. You just shove it in there...

I thought the ground was through the mount back to the body. If you have problems look for a ground issue at each connection from the lights and headlamp bar. The ground path will affect lighting too.

54810DD6-0736-4452-AC14-AE4F7B50396C.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)

The electric connection of the ground for the A horn is through the button on the steering wheel. One wire comes from the battery connection on the cut-out and the other wire goes to the horn button, which ground the coils at the column. The mounting lug is only used to mechanically attach the horn to the headlight bolt.

Frank

schematic2.jpg

13 hours ago, TomTIII said:

trying to figure out how to get access to the brake linings to replace them (rears)

You'll have to take off the parking brake carrier.  That means removing the brake rod from the lever on the back side of the backing plane,  and the lever from the parking brake shaft.  Then slide the shaft our with the parking brake band.  Then remove the carrier by unbolting the 4 bolts that you started to remove, which will allow you to take the carrier off.   As oldford recommended, Les Andrews book is a must for someone just getting into Model A's.  You can do this if you follow the steps in Les' book.