1974 Saab Sonett 3 III Coupe Ford V4

I have always found these weirdly fascinating.   Please don't hold it against me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333961850580

856 287 9502 call or text. see photo slide show below..hard to find a saab in this condition.. only 2400 made in 1974.  great car in great shape.. one family owned car always garage kept. 39233 original miles.  the car has been repainted in original factory color.  looks great..   the car is in excellent shape.. no rot what so ever only minor surface rust. mechanical the car is tight and right start and runs and drives. great.. the clutch may need to be adjusted..  it may just be operator error . sometimes pops out a gear. i can not get the headlights to open.. again it could be operator error. All accessories work as they should (lights, blinkers, wipers, radio etc. ) mufflers have been removed. as you can imagine it is loud. the rear window shocks are bad and need to be replace.. drive side rug has some wear..  4 cylinder V4 Ford engine with a 4 speed manual transmission.

saab.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Like me,  my kid always showed some interest in these and they are dirt cheap relative to other "cool" things.   I never pulled the trigger because I figured I was going to be in for a shock when I finally climbed in to one.

Of course,  the other car he showed interest in was the AMX which probably would be a better idea,  but 2 to 3 times the money for equivalent condition.

Strangely, I vividly remember a Saab Sonnett brochure at my grandparents house when these were new (big, GM car folk with zero sportscar interest).  I ultimately took it, stuck with my car stuff as intetest grew.  Now long gone I suspect.

There was one in our neighborhood in someone's driveway for years but it dissapeared at leadt 10 years ago.  You don't see too many of them.

• Like 1

I worked at a Saab dealer in 1974. I was the only mechanic that would work on them , They paid me $.50 an hour more!

Taking the front end on and off ( one piece) was challenge by myself.

I was quite busy with " side work" , the guys at NASA didn't want to pay dealership prices.

I never liked driving the cars.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Back in about 1972 or so there was a foreign car dealer in Round Lake, Il. In what was pretty much the middle of nowhere.  My friend and I used to go there to look at sports cars.  It was the first(and only) time I sat in a  Porsche 356.  One time we were there and there was a 67 Sonnett there(3cylinder version).  I was able to get into it then and enjoyed seeing it. Till the Salesman came out and politely ran us off.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 2