1920 Buick motor #

Frank Wilkie

I noticed today on my 6 cyl. K45 stamped on the left front of the crank case # 093002 ..  Can anyone tell me if this is a early or late block in 1920..   Also what color would be on the block and various components. The rocker arm cover and spark plug cover has the original black shinny paint.   The thin metal cover that wraps around the front and rear of motor , would it be painted the same as the rocker cover?

Frank,

I have a very original 1920 Model K-46 with less than 5,000 documented miles on it since being built.  With regard to engine component colors - the rocker cover and the spark plug cover are Black baked enamel.  The pushrod cover (runs the entire length of the cylinder block) is a color called Argent.  This is the very same color that was used on the Chevrolet Corvette and Chevrolet Chevelle Rally Wheels.  

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

1920 Model K-46 025.jpg

1920 Model K-46 026.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you..  I'm not restoring this old touring but I'm into cleaning up the engine and trying to get it unstuck. I just love messing with these old cars... This old bird was parked in 1933 and supposedly the motor was rebuilt and the body was being taken apart to be painted at that time.. Well the Doctor that bought it new never completed the task back then ..  Since he bought a new car he just let this one sit. It's been amazing seeing some of the original stuff that had never been messed with.  I've been playing with these old cars since I was about 10 with my dad..  Now I'm 73 years old..  I just love the old cars in the teens & 20s, but I appreciate all other newer ones..    Again , thank you for the picture.. 

• Like 1