For Sale: 1960 Buick LeSabre 2dr Bubble Top - "runs, drives, & looks great" - Princeton, MN - Not Mine - 6/17 Relisted

6T-FinSeeker

For sale on Craigslist: 1960 Buick LeSabre 2dr Bubble Top in Princeton, MN  -  $17,900  -  No phone # provided.  Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  c72b72f40ae136f8a92220275edce974@sale.craigslist.org

Link to 6/17 relist: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/d/princeton-1960-buick-2dr-bubble-top/7338207068.html

Seller's Description:

1960 Buick LeSabre 2dr Bubble Top

• odometer: 84,000
  • transmission: automatic
  • title status: clean

2dr LeSabre 84,000 miles very solid and original

• 401 nailhead motor
  • runs, drives, and looks great.
  • needs interior work but is complete
  • everything works, hard to find body style
  • don't need help selling, no scammers or tire kickers

image.png.d37a977886a66599060a07bc99e0ed9a.png

image.png.432f51544b430091594cca7a91e08231.png

image.png.ba69218ebe6693819d30d5ab7d38f505.png

image.png.cb2252c27784905ed12873fd8cbe97de.png

image.png.82f14bca5947aca57d194781c2562363.png

image.png.daafa77ea2aefae2b0c5403fc69c947f.png

image.png.5c25199c2089c112c19906236247f772.png

image.png.20cc0b67472dfbfb11954f341f5da55f.png

image.png.ff725729952fc4fea3d6f782a4d0e6ea.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status & price (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Buick People: Here's a car that you need to see in the flesh carefully, drive it and get it waaaay up in the air to actually see what's what.  Mitch

Mitch, do you see some warning flags?

I notice that the grille ornament is missing, and that

the seller has intentionally concealed the front

seat upholstery.  The dry and cracked dashboard

may have been from a hot climate, so likely other

soft parts are brittle.  Overall, the styling looks good

in red and white.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The BUICK hood letters are missing too and the firewall heater box has a piece broken out of it. There are no pictures of the rear of the car at all that would show the trunk, taillights & bumper. Viewing the passenger side of the car, the red paint finish looks splotchy & inconsistent under close inspection, IMO the car needs a paint job as well as a new interior to be worth the optimistic asking price. 

OK John: Warning flags? Crap presentation, high price, interior looks terrible, silver metalflake top (could be alright or ominous) . Yeah, ya gotta look at it up close and personal, drive it and put it through it's paces and get it up in the air to see what's going on. The interior? Easy $2,500 just to tidy it up. Tranny problem? The Dynaflow is now a neutron bomb on a bank account. Rust? At a price if not wiped out and poorly repaired could be livable. So much to check out. Price is everything.   Mitch

• Thanks 1

I live maybe 40 minutes from Princeton, will try to set up a time to take a look and bring all your questions. Who knows? Will update afterwards.

• Like 1

The owner texted me back and said he would be out of town until Wednesday, will update after viewing and getting are questions answered as well as some additional photos.

22 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

The engine raises questions with me. Listing says it is a 401. Should be a 364 in a LeSabre, but look at the air cleaner--doesn't it say "Wildcat 375--regular gas"? What's up with that? I'm thinking the '62 LeSabres had an optional regular gas 401?

Manual says both low and high compression 364s were available in '60 but no 401s in Lesabre.

Ok, will see it this afternoon and try to get your questions answered. I will get some photos as well.

So I saw the LaSabre…the owner bought it a year ago from one of the numerous used car lots along Highway 169 heading towards Princeton. The engine is a 364 and it sounded like it may need some valve work. Once on the road it ran well and handled about right….but the sad truth it has a ton of rust lurking underneath. I did crawl underneath and…well it was trouble. Says he is selling because his upholstery guy retired. The seats need total restoration and well as most of the dash….So kinda the worst of both worlds. Appears to have lived extensively in the north & the south. He did say the tranny has a leak and reported he was quoted a repair cost of $550 for “seals”…..Floorboards we’re rusty as well…. etc, so I ran & did not look back…..it’s one of survivor’s they tell you about…from a distance, looks good, up close is a another story. 

B0A0E73B-A01B-4DBD-8491-47D6C7BF2D0A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what's a fair price for this car? Assuming you were mechanically inclined, you could do a fair but of the work yourself, maybe not keep it perfectly correct and have a very nice driver. Where was the rust that was so worrisome? Were the floorboards rotted out? Was the frame junk? Just curious. 

• Like 1

EDIT: Damn it ... Juan Retardo has struck again ... The following was suppose to go into Mr. Earl's Buick Garden's Post ... not here.  Oh, well I guess just Way Too Many bong hits for one night but have no fear I never inhale ...

Oh and don't forget to ask for your free Buick Gardens T-shirt while supplies last .... 😷 

Please note: The following can be played on your guitar in open D tuning with or without slide but please use free form thumb n' forefinger pick technique 

as it goes something like this :

" ... Yeah - bump those Buick's, bump that ride and don't forget to kick the tires on the other side,

Roll em out - move em out, and don't forget to get your T-shirts in that larger size,

Boys - either way you push em & we'd kindly wish it - just try and do your best ...

Now you may wanna cry and we don't blame ya, n you'd be a doing it just like all the rest,

But hey Joe, you know they just gotta go ...

Down that ol' Georgia road they just gotta go even without their Dynaflow ... ! "

Edited by buick man
Stoned (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

To answer your question(s)…yea, the floorboards were rotten (the door plates had been removed and it appears the current owner discovered the major rust issues after he removed the plates) the undercarriage was so rusty it was hard to see individual parts, the trunk had a rust hole I could put my arm threw and the dash had some pretty nasty cracks as well. I could go on if you like…. But for my dough, it did not even qualify as a “driver” at the money….

• Like 1

If someone checks out a car for sale and reports back that this EIGHTEEN THOUSAND DOLLAR car has a ton of rust that would be all I needed to hear, besides all the expensive mechanical repairs required. Forget about it, move on, wipe it out of your memory bank. What's a fair price? How about $2500 as a parts car and tell the seller (who misrepresented the car by saying it's a 401 engine and very solid) he can keep the too-wide whitewall tires. Ad says no scammers but how much integrity does the seller have?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OK Buick People: Ya know the seller musta got this one stuck up his a$$ big time and he's lookin' to bail.  I love this car at the right price, but that price point with an honest legit presentation may not happen. Many times sellers who are stuck wind up trading for something.   Who knows what the fate of this 60 LeSabre is gonna be?

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1960 Buick LeSabre 2dr Bubble Top - "runs, drives, & looks great" - Princeton, MN - Not Mine - 6/17 Relisted