I HAVE A 1961 DODGE PHOENIX 2DR HDTP
WANTED...AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION  FOR 1961 DODGE...
BELL HOUSING AND ALL OTHER RELATED PARTS NEEDED FOR
CONVERSION TO AUTOMATIC FROM MANUAL...I AM CONVERTING
MANUAL TRANS TO AUTO TRANS...PREFER, COLUMN SHIFT or FLOOR SHIFT TRANNY RATHER THAN PUSH BUTTON, BUT WILL CONSIDER PUSH BUTTON...ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED...PAUL    208 215 4863  Idaho

Nothing i can think of will devalue your car as fast as converting to automatic. Chrysler pushed automatics and most of the cars are automatics. Sticks are uncommon by comparison, and don't turn up much.

It matters which engine series you have. The transmissions are not all the same.

An automatic transmission to fit behind a 1961 engine (without changing the crankshaft and the attendant major overhaul) *IS* a pushbutton transmission, with a parking brake drum on the tailshaft and no "park". That's what they were.

The only exception might be if you have a slant six, and an all-aluminum transmission with the bellhousing cast on, then *maybe* some later transmissions could bolt up. Not sure about that. If so, the driveshaft would have to be changed. You would might wind up without a parking brake.

The issue is that the new aluminum transmissions for the V8s (A-727) arrived in 1962, and everything changed, including the way the transmission attaches to the crankshaft, and the driveline mounted emergency brake, which had been functioning as "park" as well as an emergency brake. The bellhousings are cast on, and are different on an A engine than a B/RB engine. Aluminum transmissions behind a slant six (A-904) existed in 1960 and 61, but for Valiant and Lancer. I'm not sure about the big car.

1965 transmissions for all 3 engine types use cables just like the pushbutton setup, but have a column shift. They also have a modern slip yoke at the tailshaft. 1966 and up shift with a linkage and also have a slip yoke. 1964 and earlier are all pushbutton with no slip yoke on the tailshaft, and use weird non-standard u-joints.

The kickdown linkage on a Chrysler automatic controls the shift points and internal clutch pressures. Getting it set up right can be a real bear on a conversion. It must bottom out at full throttle for the kickdown, and still have the right ratio so the car shifts right and it doesn't hold the throttle open. If you leave it disconnected, it will damage the transmission quickly. Don't even go on a short run like that. Get alll the linkage off of the car the transmission comes from. Get it all the way to the carburetor. Get the carburetor too if there is anything different about how the linkage attaches.

Good luck on your project.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...