Trans/clutch removal-tips

MaxwellFox

If you have a cone clutch like my 1917 you first need to take off the bellhousing inspection cover and remove the 3 special nuts, and springs  that hold the clutch disc to the clutch spider.  Before starting to do this mark each nut so you know how many turns it was adjusted to. This allows the clutch disc to come off the spider and remain with the transmission when you remove it. I made the mistake of backing these nuts off too much when I first tried adjusting my clutch and when I started the car back up the nuts hit the transmission and bent the spider studs all to heck.  

Howard Dennis2133199859_May20.jpg.14b3fdfa5e6a9f14abb71964ef5b5fa2.jpg1962525882_May40.jpg.9ec3d898051ea7baa94fb56ef7f5e23b.jpg100_9905.JPG.920bc2cd518f5cbc6b62a1b1c1191930.JPG

I was fearing your spider horror story.  Would a few test hand cranks after reassembly have identified the clunk or snag, or was it only when running? 

Oh, the spider is attached to the flywheel inside the clutch it looks like?  If so, that makes more sense, the spider and studs stay with the engine side and the clutch disk slides off the studs with the trans.

• 2 weeks later...