Identity of this car. 1934 Michigan License Plate

Phil Rolffs

• Phil Rolffs changed the title to Identity of this car. 1934 Michigan License Plate

Yes, a vane, one-year only model in an attempt by Continental Motors Corporations along with Hayes Body Company to recoup some of their bad debts from the failed DeVaux Motors debacle.  The low-priced four cylinder Beacon was fielded for 1933 and 1934 to no real success, the middle-priced six cylinder Flyer to no popular response.  Their highest-price Ace such as this car, had no chance at all to succeed.  People knew Continental engines but to take a chance on one of their cars in the nadir of the Depression was a chancy proposition. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Yes, a vane, one-year only model in an attempt by Continental Motors Corporations along with Hayes Body Company to recoup some of their bad debts from the failed DeVaux Motors debacle.  The low-priced four cylinder Beacon was fielded for 1933 and 1934 to no real success, the middle-priced six cylinder Flyer to no popular response.  Their highest-price Ace such as this car, had no chance at all to succeed.  People knew Continental engines but to take a chance on one of their cars in the nadir of the Depression was a chancy proposition. 

There is a right hand drive Flyer here in NZ - probably a rare variant. And there have been the remains of a couple of Beacons.

A 1977 Special Interest Autos magazine article stated the serial number manufacturer records showed that for 1933, 4,092 Beacons, 1,746 Flyers and 651 Aces were built.  For 1934, only the Beacon was offered, 983 were sold.  Also noted that abortive attempts by Graham and REO to take over production occurred to no avail.   At $355 for the 1933 Continental Beacon roadster was the almost the cheapest new car available; the 1933 Willys 77 coupe was $335.  Even at those rock-bottom prices, few were brave enough to take a chance on either, particularly the Beacon.  The fear of being stuck with a worthless orphan without parts availability kept them away. 

And, If anyone finds a genuine, in-the-metal, 1933 Continental Beacon roadster... 

• 3 months later...

There was an interesting Canadian connection. A group of Canadian investors bought out Durant's Leaside Ontario plant where the DeVaux production was winding down. They started production of the Frontenac. Only 283 were built.

There is presently one for sale on Kijiji north-west of Ottawa. The asking price is somewhat optimistic ($9750 CDN) but it's an original survivor. The ad says that there are internal engine parts missing.

1933 Frontenac 1.webp

1933 Frontenac 2.webp

1933 Frontenac hood ornament.webp

• Like 1

I have just one photo of this car.  Cropping my photo of the original photo to enlarge the area of interest doesn't work too well as too much detail is lost.  If I reshoot the original photo in a cropped mode this may yield better results.  Do you know?  Or is there some other way to do it?  I would be happy to try other methods.  Please advise.

I am pleased to add any information possible to the record of this unusual car.  The young lady in the photo is my mother's sister.  Her granddaughter recently died of Covis.  This is what sparked my interest is sharing the photo.  This photo was taken on West Lake, Portage, Michigan.  My family has resided on this lake for almost 100 years.  The young lady was on vacation from New York City.

P1030801(2).jpg

On 8/31/2021 at 8:50 AM, Mark Wetherbee said:

Can you please post a closeup picture of the radiator emblems? I was trying to see if they were both enameled or painted background but the picture just won’t let me see it…

This is the closest photo I have on hand. I believe the top one was enameled and the bottom isn't either painted or enameled, just polished. 

2021-08-07_10-42-03_690.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the picture. Here’s the reason I was asking about the emblem, I have seen several enameled emblems in the past, but this is the first one I know of that the background was painted. I don’t know if it was enameled one year and painted the next, or if they were different because of the supplier (the enameled one is marked Bastian Bros. and the non-enameled one is from D. L. Auld). I have only seen the “Beacon” and “Flyer” bars with enamel.

2AF6A42E-08A5-426C-B0A1-7C65D2558F90.jpeg

• Like 2