Custom Leaf Springs

Hi, who have you guys used for custom leaf springs?  I'm trying to replace my 24 Star's front leaf springs and am having trouble finding a company.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Eaton at Eaton Detroit Spring can make what you need, may even have the data for the original springs.  Here is the Eaton form for ordering springs from scratch.  I ordered four springs, got exactly what I wanted.

1654352631_EatonDetroitspringform.png.b756da3cdfda4633d70d335335a221e3.png

• Like 2

I used a shop called Linale Manufacturing in Omaha, NE to custom make springs for the front of my 1922 Marmon.  I was very happy to find them and very pleased with the product.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Eaton has stopped doing custom springs about six months ago. We just got them to make a set of springs for a JN Duesenberg and they initially refused, due to covid and business structural changes. We finally got them to do it one last time(With the help of a big name restoration shop just down the street, thanks Tim (at Straight Eight!) Unless something changes, they are done. Good news is our springs came out perfect.........had to toss the first set. Let me know if they are back in the game. A local truck shop is a good option........ours in Florida shut down from covid.......they are gone. Here is a shot with the spring removed. They weigh in at 95 pounds each...........

5AD5AFC0-90B2-4415-B100-8565877C6B92.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

One interesting note......the old Eaton forum has “bolt size”.  They run from 5/16 to 1/2. On a J, they are 7/8! Big iron! 

• 1 month later...

I called Linale Spring and they said they can't help me, too busy they said.

Anyone else to try in the Northeast?  The few that are around now only replace springs, not rebuild and repair anymore.

Thanks

Cant help with customs, but good luck. I was going to get replacement springs for my pedestrian Pontiac, lots of places advertised but none were in stock and nobody wanted to make a set. I was lucky mine were able to be refurbished, so I went that route.

I havent had an excuse to personally use them, but I've always heard good things from local guys about Woodward Sping in Brockton, Mass. I think they are more geared toward trucks, but i've known old car guys to use them as well. 

(i believe this picture is the aftermath from a storm in 1938, and that they posted in reference to weathering the lockdowns storm last year)

95261755_3653639404706274_5715484745119301632_n.jpg.3e816fd0de64a20495f75e2a6b0629ae.jpg

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)
  • Haha 1