Circa 1931 sedan

nzcarnerd

Posted (edited)

Based on radiator grill details, appears to be a CD8 model (8 cyl), like this survivor I recently bought as a donor vehicle (for my Roadster rebuild)and subsequently have passed on to someone for a restomod. (don't know why 2 pics appear upside down perhaps COVID!). Note the 6 cyl model grill went all the way to upper part of shell, did not have the 2" ribbed sheet metal shown.

IMG_5072.JPG

'31 in Rob's Garage.jpg

'31 in Rob's Garage 2.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Based on radiator grill details, appears to be a CD8 model (8 cyl), like this survivor I recently bought as a donor vehicle (for my Roadster rebuild)and subsequently have passed on to someone for a restomod. (don't know why 2 pics appear upside down perhaps COVID!). Note the 6 cyl model grill went all the way to upper part of shell, did not have the 2" ribbed sheet metal shown.

IMG_5072.JPG

'31 in Rob's Garage.jpg

'31 in Rob's Garage 2.jpg

I did initially think Chrysler but couldn't get a quick match.

I am aware there were 'Royal' and standard models, and also early and late series models.

As far as I know there are no NZ new 'real' 1931 Chryslers. I have never seen a CD 8 but there are a few CM sixes that are more recent imports.

Up to 1930 Chryslers popular and there are plenty of survivors.

It looks as if our mystery car is slightly different to your donor sedan with the placement of the cowl lights and also the windshield visor brackets which have the extra little struts which confused me into thinking it might be a Graham. Thinking back they are more like what is on, presumably late? - 1930 cars, like this 77 - 

30 WO9515 77 Sath Flickr 0221 Akl.jpeg

I agree, while the rad shell grill and headlights clearly say 1931 Chrysler CD8, many of the other body and brightwork details don't match my "survivor". The bumper differs from a CD8, the beltline seems narrower than CD8, even the number and location of door hinges is different. We are looking at a mashup, 1931 CD8 grill and headlights on a 1930 Chrysler 77 Sedan. That explains the cowl lights, visor, hinges, bumper etc.