What Buick did I Find Today?

Bharrislax

On the passenger side of the firewall inside the engine compartment you should find a body data plate. If you post a photo showing the information on that body data plate, the exact model and original paint and interior can be determined. 

6 hours ago, MCHinson said:

On the passenger side of the firewall inside the engine compartment you should find a body data plate. If you post a photo showing the information on that body data plate, the exact model and original paint and interior can be determined. 

Thanks, I'll take a look.  Any help in determining the model # before I get a chance to take a look at the data plate?  This car, and a few others are a part of an estate sale with the family members not knowing much of the specific details of each car that had been collected and restored over the years.

If the seller doesn't even know what series it is, your BS detector should be clanging loudly. Have you seen it in person, or is the seller offshore somewhere with the car all crated up for shipment and he's willing to ship it to you for evaluation and then ship it back if you don't want it?

Because that's the oldest scam in the book...

• Like 2

While there are certainly scammers out there, it is not that unusual for family members to not know much about cars that they are trying to sell after an owner's death. I think it is a bit early to jump to the conclusion that the sellers are scammers. 

If he is able to see the car in person and get a photo of the body data plate, that will hopefully resolve any concerns. 

From the currently available photos, I would guess that this car is a 40 series, which would make it either a Model 46 or Model 46S.  It could also be a 60 series, which would make it a Model 66S. From the angle of the photos, it is impossible to be sure which of those it is. 

After you figure out which Model it is, and can determine the car's condition, we can probably give you at least a ballpark figure on its approximate value.  More photos will help. How long the car has been sitting, makes a difference. There is a lot of difference between the value of a non-running car that has been sitting for years and a car that is in driving condition. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MCHinson said:

While there are certainly scammers out there, it is not that unusual for family members to not know much about cars that they are trying to sell after an owner's death. I think it is a bit early to jump to the conclusion that the sellers are scammers. 

If he is able to see the car in person and get a photo of the body data plate, that will hopefully resolve any concerns. 

From the currently available photos, I would guess that this car is a 40 series, which would make it either a Model 46 or Model 46S.  It could also be a 60 series, which would make it a Model 66 or a Model 66S. From the angle of the photos, it is impossible to be sure which of those it is. 

After you figure out which Model it is, and can determine the car's condition, we can probably give you at least a ballpark figure on its approximate value.  More photos will help. How long the car has been sitting, makes a difference. There is a lot of difference between the value of a non-running car that has been sitting for years and a car that is in driving condition. 

I'm certainly leaning this way with Mathew - this car and five other collector cars are being offered through a local auction company.  The car is located 50 miles from where I live, I just have not had a chance to go see the car yet.  The auction is coming Saturday.  I am interested in a ball park figure. 

Here a link to the auction page that includes many additional photos.  Now, I trust none of you will buy this out from under me - Ha!  Please do take a look and offer your opinion as I would value your thoughts.

https://downsauction.hibid.com/catalog/279409/bill-shore-estate-auction/ 

Edited by Bharrislax (see edit history)

While there are still not enough photos to tell exactly what model the car is, assuming the auction listing to be correct about the car being a Century, would make it a Model 66S. The interior is not quite what I would call restored. It is not correct as it was originally. I personally don't like the fender skirts. Removing them would probably reveal some touch up paint needed on the fenders due to the skirt installation. I would guess that a 1937 Model 66 as shown in the photos in running driving condition would be worth somewhere between $18,000 and $28,000. Due to the incorrect interior, I would worry about what else is wrong with the car that can't be seen due to lack of photos. I would worry about the engine and chassis condition and other things not in the photos. If I had no other information, I would not estimate over $18,000. with some more photos hopefully showing other things in better condition, and confirmation of mechanical condition, I would increase my estimate a bit.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

While there are still not enough photos to tell exactly what model the car is, assuming the auction listing to be correct about the car being a Century, would make it a Model 66S. The interior is not quite what I would call restored. It is not correct as it was originally. I personally don't like the fender skirts. Removing them would probably reveal some touch up paint needed on the fenders due to the skirt installation. I would guess that a 1937 Model 66 as shown in the photos in running driving condition would be worth somewhere between $18,000 and $28,000. Due to the incorrect interior, I would worry about what else is wrong with the car that can't be seen due to lack of photos. I would worry about the engine and chassis condition and other things not in the photos. If I had no other information, I would not estimate over $18,000. with some more photos hopefully showing other things in better condition, and confirmation of mechanical condition, I would increase my estimate a bit.   

Thank you Matthew!  Great information.

Did you happen to notice the 1935 Buick as well?  I intend to be at the auction and will look at this one too, but the Century is my first choice.

I did not look at the 1935 previously, but just looked at it. I am not an expert on 1935 Buicks but I am fairly sure that the two tone paint is not factory correct. The fact there there are no other photos on that one would certainly concern me. 

22 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I did not look at the 1935 previously, but just looked at it. I am not an expert on 1935 Buicks but I am fairly sure that the two tone paint is not factory correct. The fact there there are no other photos on that one would certainly concern me. 

Seems the auction company is a bit lazy on getting information out about these vehicles - that could be a benefit to me.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, MCHinson said:

Thank you Matthew!  Great information.

Did you happen to notice the 1935 Buick as well?  I intend to be at the auction and will look at this one too, but the Century is my first choice.

30 minutes ago, jscheib said:

To me, the front seats look as if they are just covered with after-market "seat covers" maybe covering original fabric. Anyone's guess about condition.  My choice would be the 35, probably more rare.

John

I have no idea how many of that model of 1935 Buicks were manufactured. If the 1937 is a Model 66S, there were only 2,840 produced. With the body wood used in 1935, it probably would have a smaller percentage of survivors, but I don't know how many were produced.

I threw in a bid on the 35 too.  Tomorrow is open viewing day so I'll inspect closely - I'm just finishing up on the stock restoration of my 54 Ford pick-up so I know the potential rust damage spots to look for - I wish I knew a little more about the originality of these Buicks.  A friend of mine restored a 52 Buick so he may come along to help inspect.

3 hours ago, Bharrislax said:

I wish I knew a little more about the originality of these Buicks.  

On the 1937, it has a 1938 steering wheel instead of a 1937 steering wheel. That is not an unusual change to make. Many 1937 Buicks have 1938 steering wheels. That is not much of a problem unless you want to have the car judged and have it score well. It does have the correct 1937 horn button, although the outer ring around it should be the same color as the cast material on the steering wheel. The door panels do not have the original upholstery pattern. They are probably the wrong color/fabric as well. The dash, windshield mouldings, all other window mouldings should not be painted a solid color. They should be wood grained. The visible seat covers or upholstery are not a correct original pattern. You can probably do a google search for 1937 Buick photos and 1935 Buick photos and you will find the majority of photos online will appear to be similar. If you see most online photos that look the same, they are probably restored correctly and will give you an idea of what those cars should have looked like originally. If you post a photo of the body data plate, we can determine the original paint and upholstery information for that car. If you post a photo of the 1935 Buick body data plate, that will also reveal information about that car too. 

• Like 1