Urgent : Can’t bust the trailer loose PLEASE HELP !

C Carl

Never been stuck like this before. Everything seems o.k. Trailer just will not lift off the ball. I am getting late for my return drive over the mountains. Putting as much up force on the trailer Jack with the release shimmed all the way up and rocking it back and forth until the Jack jumps off the block, and more won’t budge it. Just drove over the mountains this way, no problems , nothing unusual. Should I just put full force of my USA made hi lift Jack under the tongue and full force it ? Or should pull the pin and drive the receiver off leaving zero weight at a dangle and try to work it off that way ? I wish I had been here before, because it must be something fairly simple.   Thanks for any suggestions.    Late and getting later,    -    Carl 

8A936994-EEEB-4F3B-B1A4-AAE909DBD1FE.jpeg

368B23FA-4050-419E-B84C-FD7EE0D0C873.jpeg

Hi Carl, pulling the pin from the receiver will work. But from the looks of your photo it might be easier than that.  The little lock toggle must be both raised as it is in your photo and moved backward's { away from the tow vehicle }. If you look closely at it you should see a small cutaway that allows it to move rearwards and hold in that position .

Craig just made the same observation I see.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

sometimes with elements and water, there is rust and scarring of the metal elements that need to slip off of each other.  In addition to the above advice, squirt any type of lubricant you have up into the receiver area (WD 40, etc...) and wiggle the latch toggle again before fully disengaging it.  

And before you hook things up again be sure to grease that ball. From the photo it looks very dry and rusty in that area.

Terry

• Like 2

Lower the jack down to take the pressure off. Thr floating foot and spring may be jammed. It’s definitely too dry, and should have grease on a regular basis. It’s going to need a new latch kit.......it’s probably ground down and jammed up. Easy fix. If you need parts.....Etrailer.com is great. They have good help on the phone if you need it.

• Like 4

Thank you guys. Thank you VERY much. Yes, it has been sitting for at least 1/2 year. I PB  

blasted it, and tried every possible combination of effort. Time to pull the pin and drive off with an open receiver. Gotta pic up another trailer tomorrow morning, but I have many more balls mounted up. 

Just as I had slathered the PB into it, Patrick Reeve called, and I told him he was the only person in the world I would take a yap break with. He has been having an extremely tough year, he and his son hurt their backs pretty bad, and worst of all, his mom had a stroke. But we had some fun talking and laughing, and I got more engine knowledge necessary to make a go/no go decision on the ‘24 Cad I recently bought on the forum.

Better hit it. Driving into the sun, and then over the mountains at night is not my idea of a fun drive. So when I get back tomorrow, will I have an easier time of it with the ball totally unloaded ?      Thanks for taking Sunday night to help me. Out I go to chock the tires, and “pull the plug”.     -     Carl 

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Free at last, free at last !

27 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Good to know!

Yessir. And more where this’n came from.

27 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

38 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Safe travels. 

Thank you, Fossil. Almost finished unloading the suburban. Best wait for a dawn departure. Don’t like night driving at all, mountains or flatland.

83B52B85-3475-4C6F-9051-F5EF8FEB2059.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Forgot to add picture (see edit history)

Sitting down, ready to eat, should have mentioned the status update on the ‘22 Cadillac sedan Patrick and his son bought from the forum here. The one that the long time owner totally dismantled to the collective dismay among us all. Remember that green one for sale at a pretty attractive price ? Anyway, it was dismantled right where the parts were piled and never moved, thus everything is still there. Right down to the complete tool roll, and original bill of sale. Includes a tool that even has Patrick scratching his head in wonder ! Patrick had hoped the mileage was low, but he found the speedometer with about 80 thou’ on it. Good thing all engine work has an “in house” solution. They planned on getting a lot done this last Virus Winter, but with the problems upon problems upon misfortune, couldn’t get to it.          Best wishes to Patrick Reeve and family.

-     Carl 

• Like 3

Thank you Glenn !

No , here is the only solution I could use. This incident is only a peep at what is going on on my old age, (77 in 2 months), as I move my house and two loaded 2 car garages to my last stand. But the overall situation is good. Tick season out here. After crawling over, and lying on , the ground I have only found one tick on me, not yet dug in. The very best news is that I have worked long and hard for 4 tough days without incident. I did not think I had that in me. Gives me unexpected optimism that I could yet have enjoyable active life into my eighties. This realization is precious to me, and means I may be able to spend long periods of time for days touring the old Cadillacs. What a magnificent retirement dream to share with all my friends in AACA, hopefully even in person !

Here to share is the present status. Three huge empty crates will have to be pulled off the trailer and stacked. I enjoy the challenge of the seemingly impossible. In the previous picture you see some of the huge blocks I have which will be fundamental to the effort. I hope my rigger self can do the job with two helpers. The picture over the roof of the suburban shows the glorious morning today. The wind has died down, and I wish I could stay. But : back to work.

Thanks again everyone ! It is a remarkable privilege to be among us all here.    Grateful Alive,    -    Carl

6C424852-58C2-44D1-8094-F524111C96F3.jpeg

DD304F14-7D5D-4AA7-860F-D22D1A461CC6.jpeg

812BE0E2-A9A1-456D-98C3-E5FE05B3A06F.jpeg

BD70DA01-641F-404D-B187-15078C26646C.jpeg

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Very good to see things are working out ! And even better that you are feeling up to the task !  Best of luck with the move.

My Cadillac 314 engine is a rear distributor version. Still interested in photo's ?

Greg

C. Carl, Please just tell me to shut up if you've already tried my suggestion. Have you tried un-screwing the lift lever on the trailer. Supposedly, if you unscrew the lift lever it will eventually drop the ball locker right out of the bottom of trailer unit making it easer to remove the ball.  

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

Thank you Glenn !

No , here is the only solution I could use.

BD70DA01-641F-404D-B187-15078C26646C.jpeg

It is now time to invoke the BFH! Maybe that will persuade that ornery hitch ball to let go!

If not, unbolt the hitch from the trailer tongue and throw the whole mess in the bin, and start anew with new parts.

• Like 2

"Seems like he has his ball(s) stuck in a vice"..............life sometimes goes that way. 😝