25 DB wheel RIM finish?

Guest leadfoot

The info I have for correct finish on my '23 split rims is cadmium. Quite possibly the plating specs didn't change that much in two years. My understanding regarding current cadmium plating sources is that few shops will do it because of environmental concerns. Eastwood offers a high quality painting system that replicates cadmium plating. My rims are starting to show the ravages of aging and I am considering the Eastwood option

• 4 months later...

Can you please supply more information on Eastwood - particularly the description and type of paint for the rims? Does it come in cans or must it be applied by a paint gun? I looked at their web site and couldn't find the reference to rim paint.

Guest leadfoot

I'm doing this from memory, so cut me a little slack. The last Eastwood catalog I looked at about three months ago had a small section for replicating cadmium plating with a paint system. The primary products offered were yellow cast colors, but they had a couple of products with the blue cast. I believe they have both spray cans and pints/quarts.

One thing to note, I noticed that there was a reference in an old DB Club magazine that someone analyzed the plating on a well preserved rim and determined that it was galvanized. I know that mine are cadmium and always read in the DB literature that this plating is correct. Oh well, as long as the rims look good, who is actually going to scrape the plating to check for accuracy.

I obtained a can of the Eastwood rim paint ($11.00 including shipping for a 12-oz can). They said it was enough to do 4 rims. I did one rim and used more than 3/4 of a can. Maybe you're only suppose to paint only the outside edge of the rim - the part that shows. The paint is acrilic laquer, therefore needs a laquer primer about the same color because it's very thin and hard to cover without runs. End result - nice color and looks good. Would recommend it.