Trans problems

I just finished getting my  DB 3/4 ton truck road ready and found I have a defective rear bearing retainer plate for T71-1A trans. A replacement part is hard to find. I have posted a request in the “Parts Wanted” and have not been successful. Is replacing with later trans an option.

Is there way to replace the trans on my DA-6 drivetrain with a newer trans?

Any ideas of conversion. I do remember this being done for passenger car DA-6.

What a bummer to be road ready and find this out.D35F5B78-9939-4622-85D2-6EA505093EE3.jpeg.46164d3f54f6d11b9947f15f8ed038c4.jpeg

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)

The retainer is cast iron and because of vibrations in trans I believe welding would not be durable enough. Would not want piece to come apart and damage trans.

It would be best if the retainer could be machined from steel.

It would seem part may available at a vintage trans shop. Any suggestions on parts source?

18 hours ago, stakeside said:

I just finished getting my  DB 3/4 ton truck road ready and found I have a defective rear bearing retainer plate for T71-1A trans. A replacement part is hard to find. I have posted a request in the “Parts Wanted” and have not been successful. Is replacing with later trans an option.

Is there way to replace the trans on my DA-6 drivetrain with a newer trans?

Any ideas of conversion. I do remember this being done for passenger car DA-6.

What a bummer to be road ready and find this out.D35F5B78-9939-4622-85D2-6EA505093EE3.jpeg.46164d3f54f6d11b9947f15f8ed038c4.jpeg

Private message sent.

19 hours ago, stakeside said:

The retainer is cast iron and because of vibrations in trans I believe welding would not be durable enough. Would not want piece to come apart and damage trans.

It would be best if the retainer could be machined from steel.

It would seem part may available at a vintage trans shop. Any suggestions on parts source?

If that piece was bolted down and the damaged area brazed up then re-machined it would out last another 3 transmission rebuilds

Update:

I loyal member of this forum has given me the use of original rear bearing retainer and I have been able to get on the road. New license plates on the way so I will be legal. I had a DMV consultant assist me . She was able to verify my vin number or in my case the motor number and complete all required paper work at my house. It was well worth it.

I will be looking for a trans or retainer for my 1929 DB truck. Trans has T71-1A stamped on the side and the retainer is stamped T71-6. Any ideas on a source appreciated.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...