Rolled Fabric Webbing for Hassler Shock Straps

leomara

Looking at the McMaster-Carr online site there are several types of rolled fabric webbing 1 1/2 inches wide which can be used to replace the straps on Hassler shocks (snubbers).  The question is strength.  These webbings are rated at a breaking strength of 2200 lbs for cotton with a nylon core up to 5100 lbs for nylon.  Does anyone know what the composition and strength was attributed to the original fabric straps used on Hassler shocks?

I can not give you a specific answer. As you know, working strength and breaking strength are two different , but specific values. I am curious about this also, because I worry about the Gabriels and Watsons on my 1924 and 1927 Cadillacs respectively. They are original, with obvious implications. If I were rebuilding mine, without any info, I would go for the stronger material. However, it is hard to imagine any material back then as strong as nylon. Glad you brought this up.           -    Carl. 

Basically the load on the snubber is related to the spring and it’s amount of deflection and vertical travel, as well as the resistance offered by the snubber. Fact is material engineering using non synthetics back in the day were fine. Duesenbergs use the same material as a model T. I suspect the loading is no where near the failure point of anything you can purchase today. The failure of the original was probably due to dry rot, or being compressed in a bad position for fifty years when the car was parked. My 1917 White suffered a strap failure.......we replaced it with 100 year old material from another snubber.....and it’s been fine.

Andy did my snubber......great guy,,fast turn around. No drama, great price. Best, Ed.