WTB~ 41 Special Sonomatic Radio

Eddie-O

Hi Guys,

I’m in dire need of a 41 Special radio in good condition working or not. I sent mine out to be repaired in late Nov. and still have not received it but more excuses than I can count anymore. I doubt if I’ll ever see it again and if I do I think it won’t be worth a plug nickel. Long story and the jury is still out. At any rate, show season is here and I can’t show the car with a big hole in dash. Willing to pay more for working unit. A radio delete plate would also work if you have a good one. Must look excellent since car is almost perfect.

Thanks for your help, from a desperate guy. Prefer e mail contact at dunsmere@ aol.com

I Bill The Radio Guy have this radio being worked on. Ed does not describe it as a 5 band 908660 model Buick radio. We started with a bent tuning rod of which we have a video and can forward it but do not know how to submit it here. No action on the 5 band switching only to discover the oscillator coil was shorted requiring the whole the tuner to be taken apart to clear the short and resolve band issue. There was no local oscillator until the short in the coil was repaired and now there is audio but weak and trying to get it resolved. It's also was not mentioned someone had been into repairing the radio and gave up on it. Something I had to do also to get a break from it. We're almost home not to mention how many hours have been put into this project and will never recoup.

Here are some picture's of Ed's radio

If this isn't enough to make me want to give up on pre war radios and learn my lessons then I'm just another sucker for punishment.

So Ed if you want to give up on this and find another one I can stop driving myself nuts trying to get it right for you.

Ed's radio Buick I.jpg

Ed's radio II.jpg

Ed's radio III.jpg

OK Bill,

I did not mention who was working on it since I said the jury was still out and I would not bad mouth a mans reputation without solid proof. Since I still have not seen the radio or tried it out yet, I won’t.But since you opened the door, here we go!

First off it’s been nearly six months when you told me four which I could still swallow. The kicker was and is, I can’t count on how many e mails I’ve gotten of excuses all of which I still have. First, you were waiting for parts and would be done by end of week most likely. Then it was damaged on shipment( which I can’t say yes or no since you received it) so I’ll give you that. Then you had to send it to Michigan for some reason and waiting for it or parts. Should be another week. Then your technician was sick. Should be another week. Then you needed schematics and the guy who had them lost the file. So I sent you an e mail with the whole Sonomatic schematics and parts listing right from Buick. You also told me that it was an 80 year old radio. I knew that, that’s why I sent it to you to be updated. I had asked before I sent the radio if you could do the job and you said yes, you would replace all the guts and better than new. Why would I ship it from the east coast all the way to the west coast to someone who MIGHT be able to fix it? As far as someone working on it before, I would have no idea! I’ve had the car a year and never pulled the radio out. Five band, oscillators and anything else is Greek to me. All I know is it’s a radio and doesn’t work.That’s why you have it. I would never have posted this and was going to send you a personal e mail, but since you are making me out to be some kind of ( you know what) and post it here, then I won’t be made into some kind of jerk. You can either fix the radio and when I get it back I’ll give you a Glowing review if it works. Or not! Nobody could have know it was you until you brought it up. Sorry this had to happen. Fix my radio and I’ll pay the bill. That’s all I wanted from the start. Or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words. Nope, just got a message yesterday that he was waiting for parts to be made and the guy is on vacation. You can’t make this up! The only thing left is that the dog ate it and needs surgery to get it back but the Vets on vacation. I’ve resided on the fact that I’ll never have my Super Sonomatic back and if I do, it will be junk. Maybe I can sell the buttons if they come back, and re coupe the postage. Still willing to give him the benefit of doubt, but it’s looking very unlikely. The space shuttle could have been fixed by this time. Should have told me from the get go and saved us both a bunch of crap. Still hoping and praying though.

I have often thought of sending one of my 41 radio's out for repair. I decided it is just easier to bring my iPhone and a blue tooth speaker. It works just fine and I can pick the music too.

I sent one of my clocks out for repair. It worked for 12 months and then died. I have learned my lesson with 80 year old electronics. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 6:07 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I have a nice used one.  Lights up, but doesn't play.  Out of an original 60,000 mile car

Hello Dynaflash8, if you still have that radio, how much do you want for it? Is it a Super Sonamatic or a Sonamatic? Thank you

I would just send the radio shop $50 to send back the radio.  I know, I know but the point is you need your radio back.  

All businesses are going to say they can do it.  It's a shrinking market.  They say no, then they are 100% out. 

I never figured I wanted working radio in my old cars.  What's the point?  I have poor hearing now and I am always listening to the car and paying attention to the road.  Whatever comes out of the radio speakers can't come close to modern audio.  

If mine lights up and is visually decent, that shoukd work.