How to shorten a speedometer cable?

Matt Harwood

I have to cut a speedometer cable to a specific length but I'm not really sure how to best cut the cable itself. Since it's wrapped wire, I'd expect it to unwind after being cut so I can't just take a set of wire cutters to it. Does anyone have any experience cutting the wire inner cable? Solder it to prevent the unwinding? Weld it? 

Any advice is very welcome!

5-7-21-1.jpg.bb030a9b4e66af94228a2ca1c53d4c2d.jpg

You should be able to use a grinder to cut it. The grinding process should result in a clean cut. I don't think it will unravel any. You can solder it if it starts to unravel, but I don't think it will. If you want to be sure how it will work, you could do a practice cut several inches above where the actual cut needs to be to see how the cable reacts to your cutting process. 

• Like 2

Wrap it tight with masking tape before using the cutoff wheel.

I agree with using a cutoff wheel on a grinder or Dremel tool to cut the cable after tightly wrapping it. One question: Aren't the ends of speedo cables pressed square or have a square sleeve crimped on them? If so, how are you going to preserve the square driving end?

I still have my speedometer cable kit used in my trucking business back in the day. Consists of a metal box with about a dozen compartments full of different ends, crimper, and some rolls of cable.

We used to cut cable with oxy/acty torch (that’ll fuse it), smooth up on grinder, and crimp on new end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jubilee said:

Consists of a metal box with about a dozen compartments full of different ends, crimper

Coincidence; I just bought that type of box marked Napa at a swap last weekend for $1 ..yes a dollar. :)

I will try to take a picture today of the contents and the crimper bits that you use in a bench vise.

Decades ago at car shops I worked at, we would get an AC branded inner cable kit that came in a large square blue/white envelope that included the proper metal end for the car you ordered it for, and a throw-away metal crimping bit to use in a vise.

Some later? AC kits had a plastic end that you put on after heating the end of the cable.  Back then, we just used sidecutters to snip the inner cable to length. 

I'm working on repairing my speedo cable this week too. You're a few days ahead of me though.

A friend said that he cuts the inner cable to size using an oxy/act torch with a brazing tip. Just heats it up and it fuses the end as it cuts it off.

Bill

Matt,

When I shortened mine, I brazed a 2" section that would be the new end first, then cut it to length with a 4" grinder, and then ground the end square to fit in the Tx.

Mike in Colorado