What is it a model A or T from 1928 to 1930s

nick8086

Two details are wrong for that speedometer to be from a Model A. It should have a trip odometer reset knob on the front and a mounting strap over the back of the case to fasten to the instrument panel.  According to Model A Judging Standards book, "Stewart Warner produced two oval faced speedometers with white pointer. The first was used thru early 1928 and had a wide rim and wide numerals. The second, introduced in January 1928 and used thru mid 1930, had a narrow rim and narrower numerals."

No mention of speedometers without odometer reset knob or oval opening for speed indicator or printing on the faceplate. 

Waltham and Northeast also supplied speedometers for Model A, but that one is clearly marked Stewart-Warner. 

Oval faced Stewart Warner speedometer for Model A should look like this photo below. 

I believe the above speedometer belongs to another make of car. 

speedo.jpg

• Like 2

The OP speedometer doesn't look like any model A and definitely not model T I ever saw. O D-45 's photo is what I have seen hundreds of for model A Fords. The OP speedometer looks like one of several used on a variety of midsize to large cars including Lincoln and Packard of the late 1920s to about 1930. They used to be fairly common, however, they had a tendency to warp with age (pot metal) and if in good condition could be very desirable to someone wanting to replace one that had quit working. 

If it were me? And I wanted to move it along and get it off my shelf? I would donate it to someone dealing in vintage speedometers. Let him fool with it, and maybe make a few bucks while making someone else happy to get it. It MIGHT be worth a bit. But without the contacts to find someone that really wants it? Could be a tough sell.

1 hour ago, wmsue said:

I'm working on my speedo this week. My NEW inner speedo cable that cost more than it should have cost.....lasted 2 miles. I've got to do some troubleshooting and find the problem.

Bill

If the "NEW" inner cable broke off one of its ends, it's likely there was too much resistance coming from the speedo mechanism,

a likely result of hard or stiff lubrication (within the speedometer mechanism). Try twirling the speedo drive with your fingers. There should be little or no resistance.

I thought speedometer spun free but I think the gears for the trip odometer is the culprit.

I didn't have the reset knob fully seated when tested and didn't notice that the dials were stiff.

My cable end almost looked like it was twisting the wrong way.

I'm working on getting new ends and cable .187 in diameter.

Thanks

Bill

IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5794(2).jpg

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Do you still have this speedometer and would it be for sale?  I have a whippet it should fit.  More pictures with a fuller would confirm it.

kelly

Hi Kelly.s

This speedometer does NOT fit a Whippet. The drive end of the speedometer is different, I believe it fits the Model T's that had oval speedo's.

I'll PM you with other places to find a speedo.

Good Luck,

Bill