Engine block for a 1966 Buick Riviera

•  

To all my name is odes cain and I am new to the forum, I have a 1966 Buick Riviera with a 425 nailhead that I am restoring, but after pulling the engine I found out that the block was cracked does anyone know where I could purchased a block for the 425 nailhead thanks in advance and as always continue to be blessed on purpose and in purpose.

Welcome. Don’t be too quick to give up on a cracked block. Talk to a few machine shops, tell them where the crack is, and get their opinion on stitching it back together.  One member on the forum had a sleeve put into a block where there was just part of the cylinder wall left. 

Welcome Odes, lots of good people and information here. If you’re not a ROA member, check it out. Link above in Ed’s signature 

Brian

Welcome to the forum Odes. Guessing its cracked behind or near the starter? How bad is the crack? And does crack radiate to one of the freeze plugs?

425 blocks show up once in awhile but you may have to drive a few hundred miles to get it or pay to have it shipped. No matter it can be expensive then you never know what you are getting unless its a bare block and has been magna-fluxed for cracks and bores checked.

That's why first you want to make sure your block is not repairable before going any further.

Hey Tom T- I know that same guy too! 😏  

Thank you all so very much for responding to my post I did contact the seller of the engine block but he was unwilling to ship he wanted to cash in hand deal so I’m still on the hunt I will take all of you all‘s advice and look into having the block fixed. Thanks again and as always continue to be blessed on purpose and in purpose. PS if there’s any other block deals that you may see a come across if you would please let me know truly thankful.

Odes, A guy on the Facebook Riviera parts for sale group has a 66 block for sale.  He’s in Detroit and I only know that he’s posted an ad. I know NOTHING more.

Ed

Thank you Ed I did talk to the gentleman but he does not want to ship the block to me even though I told him I would pay for it all he would rather someone pick it up in person I think what I’m going to do it’s put in a 455 instead that I found close to me motor and transmission running, Due to the fact if something was to go wrong later on it would be easier for me to find parts and switch them out also from what I have been reading is that the 430 and 455 do you have some in exchangeable quarts which I do have some New parts for a 430 that I was going to build look forward to your advice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Odes Cain said:

Thank you Ed I did talk to the gentleman but he does not want to ship the block to me even though I told him I would pay for it all he would rather someone pick it up in person I think what I’m going to do it’s put in a 455 instead that I found close to me motor and transmission running, Due to the fact if something was to go wrong later on it would be easier for me to find parts and switch them out also from what I have been reading is that the 430 and 455 do you have some in exchangeable quarts which I do have some New parts for a 430 that I was going to build look forward to your advice.

Replacing a 401/425 Nailhead with a 400/430/455 Buick big block is a real pain in the butt.  Starters are on different sides of the block, distributors are on opposite ends,  big blocks use cross flow radiators, nailheads use down flow.  There’s a 20+ point description of necessary changes on this swap on the ROA’s website.  Not for the faint of heart.  Don’t rule out finding a 401 if you can’t find a 425.  425s can be found in 63 (rare), 64, 65, and 66 Buick’s. Fixing that cracked block still sounds like the way to go.  Cheapest and you’ll still have a numbers matching car.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Odes Cain said:

How do I join the ROA

There’s a link in my signature block. Click on it and you’ll be taken to the home page of the website. There’s another link (yellow block at the very top) for membership. Welcome aboard.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Odes,

At this point you would do yourself a BIG favor & take pics of the crack & take it to a machine shop to get their recommendation & ALSO post them here.  I "stitched" a block that had an 18" crack that extended from the rear right behind the starter to just rearward of the motor mount.  Of course I did it myself so mainly I wasn't paying for labor.  It IS quite time consuming.  Most places charge upto $100.00 per hour, give or take. Went on to race this particular engine for MANY years with no problems due to the stitching. In reality other than the time to do this the parts are relitively pretty cheap. You can maybe do it yourself. Don't cut yourself short. IF you can drill a hole you can also stitch a block.

Just google block/head stitching & watch a few vids on the process. One of the extra things I use is JBWeld marine.

Tom T.