Collector Thunderbird on used car lot

Very cool! I'm a big fan of early four seater T-Birds. If "West Coast" translates to low  or no rust, it's probably a car worth owning. I can't comment on the price with much authority, though. T-Birds from this general era are remarkably affordable, but I think I've seen the convertibles going up in price. My personal view is that it makes more sense to buy a nice one (like this one might be) rather than buying a project or fixer upper. 

• Like 3

In 1977, I went with a friend to look at this very same model of car on a used car lot in Allentown, PA.  The lot owner gave him the keys, we jumped in, and down the road we went.  At the first stoplight, he learned, much to his surprise, that the brakes weren't working!   He didn't buy the car; he ended up with a nice 6 cyl. '66 Mustang that he drove for the next four years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They say used car dealers have had a hard time finding used cars to sell in the pandemic, but i didn't realize they had dipped into the classics!  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

As a complete aside, who else remembers the keys being left in used cars during the day for browsers to start the cars and listen to the motors?

I started working at a Ford dealer in Dayton OH in 1974 as a “lot boy”. One of my duties each morning was to put the keys in each used car. Just before closing time, I had to remove the keys from the cars. I used a long piece of stone wire, similar to a straighten coat hanger to keep the keys on. That way, they were in the correct order the following morning.

There is no way any dealer would do this today!

Kevin

• Like 2

That's a great looking '62!  I actually bought my '65 Corvair Monza from a Ford dealer.  It had gotten traded in on something around Thanksgiving back in 2007, and I really thought I got a good deal on it.  I did not.  At the time, I knew Corvairs weren't worth much, but I didn't realize how much nicer a car I could have bought for only a few thousand more.  Oh well...I still have it.  It's fun, but I'll always be annoyed at how much I've spent on it.  :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, kevin1221 said:

I started working at a Ford dealer in Dayton OH in 1974 as a “lot boy”. One of my duties each morning was to put the keys in each used car. Just before closing time, I had to remove the keys from the cars. I used a long piece of stone wire, similar to a straighten coat hanger to keep the keys on. That way, they were in the correct order the following morning.

There is no way any dealer would do this today!

Kevin

You got paid for this, you lucky dog you. 

My dad was a Minnesota dealer and keys were a pleasant childhood chore. The unpleasant childhood chore was sweeping snow off all the new and used cars all winter long.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I will see that kind of thing on occasion. However on the few occasions I stopped to enquire I suspect the lot owner had been watching Mecum auctions.

When a new/used dealer puts a car like this out on the lot, they usually aren't in any hurry to sell. This T-Bird looks to be the point car of a used lot and as long as the point car is doing its job, its worth its weight in gold.

• Like 2

A good looking T-Bird.   It would get me onto the lot too, but not a $122,500.   Must be $22,500.

That is why I could not tell. Looked on web site and could not find it either current or "recently sold".

Just in case anyone thinks padgett might be in left field for wondering if this '62 was listed at $122k....here's a '63 currently on eBay with an asking price of $139k. Yes, totally unrealistic (in my humble opinion) but that's what they're asking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224441501848?hash=item3441c18898:g:kyMAAOSwq1Vf-Gs8

28 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Just in case anyone thinks padgett might be in left field for wondering if this '62 was listed at $122k....here's a '63 currently on eBay with an asking price of $139k. Yes, totally unrealistic (in my humble opinion) but that's what they're asking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224441501848?hash=item3441c18898:g:kyMAAOSwq1Vf-Gs8

The operative phrase is “on EBay”.  Thus by definition having no relation to reality. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3