Rebuilding Search Index - searches will be incomplete until sometime in the morning of 6/11/21. ×

From Georgia State University archives comes this photo of a brass era auto CA1905; what is it

It appears this car is being chauffeur driven,undoubtedly prominent people,they could have had any front axle they wanted put under it. Maybe someone convinced them it would have a softer ride.

I believe it is a 1903-04 Cadillac Model A chassis that was updated with the 1905 Cadillac hood and dash. All of the visible chassis details are Model A - steering, front springs (with the 'flattened' ends, rear axle radius rods, wheel hubs, etc. The rear entrance body also has all characteristics of the Model A. The hood and cowl are 1905 Cadillac. If these modifications were made, it would also explain the apparently new and shiny paint job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben P. said:

That’s got to be it.

Has anyone seen a surviving early car with such extensive ‘updates’?

We have an early 1908 Model F two cylinder Buick. The car has a left over 1907 radiator and body. Notice the two brackets that attach from the rear seat section to the top of the rear fenders for support. The rest is all 1908.

My friend Dave Tansey also found a photo in an old Horseless Carriage Gazette of an identical car back in the day. That car had a windshield ours never did.

Attached a few photos of our car about 1962. 

Charley

PXL_20210206_200201830.jpg

PXL_20210206_200217393.jpg

PXL_20210206_200237610.jpg

• Like 2

A close friend years ago had a 1905 Cadillac that was updated to look like a 1906/'07. I often wonder what ever became of that car. It was a partially restored solid original car, except for the updates. My friend was unsure what to do with it going forward (whether to correct it, or continue the restoration as updated, it really looked nice!). When an early Cadillac fellow he knew offered him a good deal on a trade for a two cylinder REO in better older restoration condition, he took it!

Cars were often updated back in the days. And often when they were only one or two years old! (Cars wore out fast in those days!) It can drive people crazy trying to sort out just what was?

• Like 1

When my 1912 REO came out of its hibernation in the barn (in 1970), it had 1913 rear fenders.  When my father acquired it in 1980 it still had those fenders, but came with a pair of 1912 fenders, so he put those on to make the car "original".  Recently I have received pictures from the family of the original owner which show that our REO had electric side lights by 1914 and may have had those 1913 fenders as well.  Certainly the fenders were on the car by 1918, according to other photos.  The car was  purchased new in early 1913, so it may be that the dealer updated the rear fenders and side lights to make it look like a 1913 model and get it sold, although the side lights are not REO.

The picture below shows it (on the right) in 1914.  Note the band-aid on the LF tire.280347747_1912REO.jpg.a209068ea94e9b6543c5a1555f9108f6.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, wayne sheldon said:

A close friend years ago had a 1905 Cadillac that was updated to look like a 1906/'07. I often wonder what ever became of that car. It was a partially restored solid original car, except for the updates. My friend was unsure what to do with it going forward (whether to correct it, or continue the restoration as updated, it really looked nice!). When an early Cadillac fellow he knew offered him a good deal on a trade for a two cylinder REO in better older restoration condition, he took it!

Cars were often updated back in the days. And often when they were only one or two years old! (Cars wore out fast in those days!) It can drive people crazy trying to sort out just what was?

Like this one which no one has yet come up with a definitive answer for - A family photo from about 1912; we know the people, but not the car. What is it? - What is it? - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

1647258719_1912abt.JohnAnnaMurrayandtheg

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

Yes, I remember looking at that one for more than a few minutes! As I recall, I didn't make any comments, as I really had nothing constructive to say. Also as I recall, Someone did comment on the long shift lever being very similar to an early Cadillac (the why I remember it so well). And this shift lever looks a lot like the one my friend's car had! The wheel hubs (and wheels?) also look very much like one-cylinder Cadillac! Otherwise, not much else does. 

I can think of several early photos I have spent too much time trying to figure out what it was. Some odd low production make? Some kit car someone built themselves? (Kits were made and sold, as well as parts suppliers that could provide anything one needed to build their own!) Some cars? We simply will never know.