For Sale: 1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille 2dr Hardtop -"Very original, #'s matching"- Virginia Beach,VA - Not Mine - 5/7 Reduced - 5/8 On Ebay & Pictures - 5/17 SOLD!

For sale on Craigslist: 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville 2dr Hardtop in Virginia Beach, VA  -  $23,000 FIRM  -  No texts.  Call:  757 six3six 9277

On 5/7, Seller reduced price to $20,000

On 5/9, Seller deleted the Craigslist ad

Link: https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/virginia-beach-1956-cadillac-coupe/7317079428.html

Seller's Description:

1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville 2dr Hardtop

• odometer: 70,000
  • transmission: automatic
  • title status: clean

READ THE WHOLE POST.. then read it again. No TEXT no email if interested CALL...

This is a 1956 Cadillac coupe Deville 2 door hardtop. 365 v8 with dual 4 barrels from the factory. Original engine trans and etc all numbers match. This car runs and drives shifts and stops very well. I have been driving it often. Brakes have been rebuilt. Carburetors have been rebuilt plugs and wires have been changed etc etc. Fuel system has been cleaned out. This is a very original car that has not been butchered. Power steering, power brake. Power windows and powerseat car. No rust this car is very very solid. All floors trunk frame and etc are in great shape. The interior is all original it's not horrible but all the leather dried up and is coming apart the interior is leather and cloth. If interested call the price is 23,000 FIRM. THIS MEANS NO LESS. NO TRADES AND YES THATS CASH and cash only.

Contact me when you have cash and are ready to come out. I AM not answering a bunch of dumb questions if interested. Get your cash and come out and look at it yourself. I am not listening to I'll give you or will you take. You see the price and that's what it is. REMEMBER this is only $23,000 do not expect a brand new restored car NO TEXT CALL 757six3six9277. I have a clean and clear title in my name registered with a set of original 1956 tags

image.png.cdc5e5b82ef3f33d10507300ddf0ed26.png

image.png.0f67a66a8aa923b6d7021e27d7e9a3a8.png

image.png.2c57139cb74b50613ca7bc72d73fb937.png

image.png.d7984ef05bc8f21ef04a92512288dc59.png

image.png.ca8df474c291b16f4256f3536e0876f5.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille 2dr Hardtop -"Very original, #'s matching"- Virginia Beach, VA - Not Mine

From what little the seller shows of the car, it might be worth the "asking" price, and I was looking for a '56 CdV at one point, but from the hostile vibe of the ad, I wouldn't have walked across the street to inquire. Maybe he/she isn't really interested in selling?

I wonder if he'll still be saying 

"If interested call the price is 23,000 FIRM. THIS MEANS NO LESS. NO TRADES AND YES THATS CASH and cash only. Contact me when you have cash and are ready to come out. I AM not answering a bunch of dumb questions if interested. Get your cash and come out and look at it yourself. I am not listening to I'll give you or will you take. You see the price and that's what it is."

a month or more from now when it hasn't sold.

• Like 2

“Only $23k.”  Maybe I’m old, but I don’t ever put “only” in front of $23k.  I don’t follow these so maybe that’s a good price for it. But I think of other things I can get for $23k. 

Like a nice looking 1956 Lincoln Premiere coupe I’ve seen advertised. $16k. Or a 1963 Galaxie convertible for $21 - and that ad shows a nice interior. Or a semester of tuition and room and board at a certain private college. Oh wait, never mind.  

This car looks nice in the pics. And I can relate to the seller’s obvious frustration - if you’ve ever listed anything on CL you know what he’s trying to avoid. But the ad is certainly off-putting. I have seen other advertisers make the same points without coming off as hostile. 

- John

• Like 1

I usually try to message same but a bit friendlier, with some humor.  Recently sold a set of seats via fb marketplace.  Priced below going rate to move them. 

"Ok guys, you know price is very reasonable so please be reasonable if you must haggle.  Also, cash, cash or cash works, fair enough?  Local pick up only please, it's only $100 and these are bulky, sorry, just not in a pisition to take time to figure out shipping. Hope another mb guy can use these. Thanks for looking!"  Messaging done, hopefully not too off putting.  In this case, clown #1 messaged me immediately wanting them at my ask.  3 weeks later, relisted when he dropped off... 🙄clowns #2 and #3 asked if I could ship them, please... 🤔🙄 

Then, nice guy from NH drove down and bought them. No issues.  So I get weeding clowns out but it is a balance...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, suchan said:

...from the hostile vibe of the ad, I wouldn't have walked across the street to inquire. 

I agree that the tone of the ad needs to change!

"Hostile" is right.  Can you imagine walking into a

department store and being told by a clerk:

"Read the signs and the tags.  Then read them again.

I am not answering a bunch of dumb questions about

our merchandise.  Our products are what they are,

and they're not perfect.  Don't bother me until you have

cash and are ready to buy!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sell a few more cars, then you can tell him he's out of line. I think he's spot-on. He's addressing every single waste of time there is, up front. There are a great many people for whom the haggling IS the point--they don't actually want to buy the car, they just want to see if they can get the price to a place where they'd consider buying it. It's a MASSIVE waste of time just for someone's amusement. They're the same dopes who go to a garage sale, see something for $2.00 and ask if the seller will take $1.00. The car isn't the point, getting over on the seller is.

Car buyers can be idiots, jerks, selfish, rude, condescending know-it-alls. A great many of them are just miserable to deal with. They have unreasonable expectations and want everything without paying for it. This guy is just trying to weed out the time-wasters and sport negotiators up front. I can respect that.

Spend a few days in his shoes, then re-evaluate his position.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sell a few more cars, then you can tell him he's out of line. I think he's spot-on. He's addressing every single waste of time there is, up front. There are a great many people for whom the haggling IS the point--they don't actually want to buy the car, they just want to see if they can get the price to a place where they'd consider buying it. It's a MASSIVE waste of time just for someone's amusement. They're the same dopes who go to a garage sale, see something for $2.00 and ask if the seller will take $1.00. The price isn't the point, getting over on the seller is.

Car buyers can be idiots, jerks, selfish, rude, condescending know-it-alls. A great many of them are just miserable to deal with. They have unreasonable expectations and want everything without paying for it. This guy is just trying to weed out the time-wasters and sport negotiators up front. I can respect that.

Spend a few days in his shoes, then re-evaluate his position.

I agree with this to a degree. I work as a Parts Manager in a dealership, and for whatever reason, if you bought a car here 10 years ago, it seems to entitle you to special pricing AND a warranty on all service work that never expires. Had a parts manager years ago that finally asked a guy who was on a tirade about his older vehicle should still be under warranty for a repair "sir, how much longer do you expect us to fix your car for free"?

• Like 2

The seller states the car needs an interior right in the ad. It can be seen in the photos that the car needs a lot of work if you expect it to be a show car. Looks like a good ad to me. If you are not serious about buying an item you have no business inquiring about it. Many people today want to text or email. They spread out questions over days or weeks that could have all been answered in a 5 minute phone conversation. Then they say they don't want to buy your green 4 door because they really want a yellow 2 door. 

• Like 1

Here is my actual ebay disclaimer:

ASK ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU BID. Have the FUNDS IN HAND to PURCHASE this automobile BEFORE YOU BID. Check with your Bank, Credit Union, Wife, Girlfriend, Husband, Boyfriend, Boss, Buddies in the car club, Mother in law, Other Relatives, Dog, Cat, Goldfish, Or anyone else you need to check with BEFORE YOU BID.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If I were interested in the car, I could get past the strong language. I believe he is trying to dissuade the tire kickers. Some people will tell you everything that is wrong with the car (which you know) thinking this will bring the price down. 

The interior will be expensive, but if the rest of the car is solid, I believe this is a fair deal. Very pretty car. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sell a few more cars, then you can tell him he's out of line.

No, I'll say right now that his attitude is wrong.

Courtesy is absolute--always a requirement--and not relative.

Still, we can have some compassion for him.  Maybe he's

having a bad day;  maybe he's frustrated;  and if his attitude

prevails, he won't have many friends in his community.

Maybe talking to him courteously will cheer him up a bit.

• Like 5

I owned this car until recently. It is a true southern Calif. car. I bought from the original families estate.  I called it a twixt car. Most paint was original. The car was too nice to restore. The chrome was nice but not perfect. I was in a quandary . Very nice car. Interior is in need of restoration. Tim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I've encountered a few irascible or challenging

people in business, and treating their opinions

with courtesy and respect has had a softening

influence.  One even said to me after a meeting

that threatened to be tumultuous, "See, John,

I didn't lose my temper!"

This Cadillac seller may be a good but frustrated 

man at heart.

• Like 2

Like a lot of us, I've got room for one old car, so I sell as many as I buy, one every few years. I've dealt with lowballers, jerks, uninformed knuckleheads, etc., but not enough, or often enough, to be pessimistic about the process. If I had to cope with that reality on a daily basis like our dealer friends, I'm pretty sure my outlook would be different.

Sounds like a straight forward ad to me. He's probably had his fill if knit pickers and tire kickers and I don't blame him. He can ask what he wants and if the buyer doesn't like it they are free to move on. 

I don't see any issues here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim Hund said:

I owned this car until recently. It is a true southern Calif. car. I bought from the original families estate.  I called it a twixt car. Most paint was original. The car was too nice to restore. The chrome was nice but not perfect. I was in a quandary . Very nice car. Interior is in need of restoration. Tim

So he's a flipper with a bad attitude.

I wonder how many cars he sells.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can make your point in a much less aggressive manner. 

Informal analysis, say half of us feel the guy is a real a******, half feel the seller is within boundaries of good taste, of which a couple of you are dealers.  Selling can be painful, whether as a hobbyist or pro but doing business with someone on either end is a choice.

Some may pursue despite the attitude, which likely leaves 1/3 of all of us who have heard enough to say "thanks but no thanks". 

So unless it is a 1 of 1 and you have to put in an application to be interviewed to purchase, is it smart to turn off 1/3 of your buyer universe? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

No, I'll say right now that his attitude is wrong.

Courtesy is absolute--always a requirement--and not relative.

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sure would be nice for buyers to be courteous, too.

I have worked in the service industry dealing with the public for well over 40 years.  You have no idea how far one would go (read: generous) to accommodate a customer who starts the conversation with "I screwed up" or "I broke this" or "I used the money set aside for this to buy a new whatever and now my payment is late. I know I was wrong" as opposed to the customer who starts the conversation by being belligerent, confrontational and never wrong.  One of the best lines is, "I want the manger. Oh, YOU are the manager???  Then I want the VP of your department or your boss' boss," followed by "Do you know how much money I've given this company in the last XX years?"

There is no monetary charge to be polite and respectful but the cost of waging war can have serious consequences.  

The Seller's ad is the first step in the conversation to sell the car, and I believe, sets the tone.  If the ad is too hostile or aggressive, I move on.  Frequently, these are ads that start with a stated price as "FIRM" right from the first day, as opposed to a Seller who has reduced price over time and has now arrived at a bottom-line figure.  It is a shame for the Seller, really, because he has no idea how deep my pockets are, or if his car "really is the one."  It is a lost opportunity.  

There are so many variables to a sale.  Best rule is to always be courteous and respectful.  As a result, there will be far more options available and better chances for everyone to walk away feeling satisfied.   

For what it's worth, I think this Cadillac is beautiful.  But, I don't need any more aggravation or stress in my life and certainly not for something like a hobby that should bring me happiness and joy.  Just my two cents.  

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille 2dr Hardtop-"Very original, #'s matching"-Virginia Beach,VA-Not Mine-5/7 Reduced
49 minutes ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

On 5/7, Seller reduced price to $20,000.

So maybe firm isn’t?  Nice cars but to a poor guy like me they always seem like it’s going to be expensive to fix up and own.  

• Like 1

I know selling old cars is frustrating at times. Buyers can be difficult at times. But look at where the seller's attitude has taken him:

Members of the AACA forum should be the people who are most excited about seeing a pretty '56 Caddy coupe for sale. More than any other group of people in the world, maybe. Instead, we are mostly commenting on the seller's poor attitude. He's diverted attention away from his pretty car and towards his poor attitude. Here's a suggestion: be mean and surly to specific annoying customers rather than the whole world in general.

• Like 3

On 5/7, Seller listed on Ebay with a Buy-It-Now Price of $25,000 plus an auction with an opening bid of $13,000. 

No phone # provided.  Reply to Seller via Ebay Seller: tomizzo1

Link to auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393306822962?hash=item5b92e9d932:g:oPoAAOSwFw5gld0F

Seller's Description:

1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville 2dr Hardtop

• For Sale By: Private Seller
  • VIN: 5662078474 
  • Mileage: 70,000
  • Number of Cylinders: 8
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Exterior Color: Yellow
  • Vehicle Title: Clean

1956 Cadillac coupe Deville. Original 365 v8 with 2 Carter 4 barrels stock. Both carbs rebuilt and fuel system cleaned out. Numbers matching car. It has power brakes power steering power windows and power seat. This car is very original and has not been butchered and cut up. It is a very clean and solid car not all rusted out. Floors trunk frame body mounts are all also incredible.. This car runs drives shifts and stops excellent I drive it often. 2 to 5 times a week. The interior is stock and needs to be freshened up the leather on the seats cracked up. It has had all the brakes redone recently and stops excellent. The fuel system has been cleaned out and carbs rebuilt and it has had a recent tune up. The tires were replaced in 2019 and are still in good shape. Ask questions and feel free to come drive this car kick the tires and etc before bidding. Like I said you are more than welcome to look at this car before bidding / buying. This is an old car it is being sold with no warranty expressed or implied. The odometer stopped a 70,000 I do not know how long ago.

Lots more pictures on the auction!

image.png.5090906e69ee85255ac3ebc3a490f1bd.png

image.png.0d240502ff308bfdba7708ee7151710d.png

image.png.4a0f22750e598c52123f27fe41b14198.png

image.png.5104810013c48164bfdf34a27b90283a.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille 2dr Hardtop -"Very original, #'s matching"- Virginia Beach,VA - Not Mine - 5/7 Reduced - 5/8 On Ebay & Pictures
On 5/6/2021 at 12:54 AM, 6T-FinSeeker said:

"READ THE WHOLE POST.. then read it again.... 

I AM not answering a bunch of dumb questions if interested.... 

I am not listening to I'll give you or will you take. You see the price and that's what it is."

The seller's tone has softened.  Maybe he has

recovered from his bad day that the original ad above

seemed to indicate.  Maybe he's realizing that having

an ATTRACTive character ATTRACTS friends and buyers:

6 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

"Ask questions and feel free to come drive this car kick the tires and etc. before bidding.

Like I said you are more than welcome to look at this car before bidding / buying."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:00 PM, Ben P. said:

Yep, and that right there is the thing about flippers - they never once pay anywhere near asking price but only sell ‘this is my price take it or leave me the H alone’ firm.

Isn't that the definition of a dealer also? Although you may be able to haggle some with them, I'm not quite sure. I have seen some dealers whose inventory looks to be the same over a period of time, so I wonder if they have a take it or leave it price attitude also.

I asked if the guy will still have the attitude a month from now when it doesn't sell. It was a wisecrack because I think the price is too high & I wouldn't deal with him because of attitude & price. Kinda if you don't like it move along. For those of you who whine about flippers, is it the "love of the hobby" or the jealousy that someone beat you to a bargain and now will make some money selling it. For any dealers who complain about lousy customers, they're everywhere, in every retail or service business. May I suggest if you don't like dealing with such people, there are all kinds of other positions & professions you could work at. Some of them even exclude dealing with the public.

19 No Whining! ideas | whining quote, quotes, words

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)

Upholstery damage seems to be limited to the seats, and the dual carb/batwing setup the seller claims the car came with adds value as well. And the seller's descriptor has been toned down.

I was ready to pay $18K for a '56 CdV, single carb, not quite as nice as this one, so  the $20K he was asking pre-eBay seems OK.

• Like 1

Unless I misread the original post, I expected the interior to look much worse than the pics that were posted later. Too bad he didn't post those interior pics earlier and started out the post with a little more grace and charm. That having been said, I think the car will sell. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille 2dr Hardtop -"Very original, #'s matching"- Virginia Beach,VA - Not Mine - 5/7 Reduced - 5/8 On Ebay & Pictures - 5/17 SOLD!