58 roadmaster not mine

holy crap

• Like 2

I'm getting reports of a bidding war.  Not surprised, though.  I emailed the seller and never heard back.

• Thanks 1

I have a friend who is in contact with the owner.  I'm sure the guy is buried in emails.

Posted (edited)

With a $7000 asking price, the only flaw I can see

from the pictures is the front upholstery.  The rest

looks excellent.  Here, for the record, are some more

pictures copied from the ad:

79166889-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

79166972-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

79166992-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

79167083-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

The car is said to be in Mundelein, Illinois, but

no phone number is given.  The condition is said

to be "fair."  Here is the text of the ad:

"Hail to the Queen...of CHROME! The pinnacle of luxury from the age of big fins. 1958 Buick Roadmaster 75 Series, Survivor condition and needs a little love, but a lot of the tough stuff is already done. New gas tank & floorboards, New brakes, bumpers dipped (show chrome). Runs like a champ but currently has a short in the wiring somewhere. I've loved this big beautiful girl for almost 20 years but it's time to part ways. Garage kept, title is clear. You don't see these coming and going. Only 10,000 were made for sale in the US and not many are left in this shape! Ready to turn some heads this summer?"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

It's gone. I offered $8,000 this morning, which was $1,000 more than the asking price. Seller replied that she had 38 messages but I was the only person to offer more than the asking price.  She then shopped my offer to another person who had sent her 3 text messages, telling the other person that I had offered $8,000, so the other person offered $10,000. I'm done. I figure she owes me some of that extra $3,000 that she never would have gotten, had I not been used in this clever scheme.

I'm done. I don't like the seller's ethics.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Yesterday when I sent the email on the form it said it had to go through Hemmings before it goes to the seller. By that time someone got through and bought it.  I wish I could have sent a direct email to the seller.

Posted (edited)

Okay guys, I bought the car.  For the record, I wound up paying considerably more than the asking price due to the "bidding war" that kicked off.  I don't begrudge the seller; I would expect anyone who found out they'd severely underpriced something to try to correct their error; there was no contract beached in doing so.

Upon looking at it, it has a lot more warts than the pictures show.  However, underneath those warts there is a low-mileage very original car.  There is nothing huge that it needs, but LOTS of little to moderate things.  I think it will be fun to give it the TLC it deserves.

I needed another car almost as much as a hole in the head, but I liked the car and bought it for a fair price because a) I need a change of pace and it's time to hand over my 57 coupe for the next phase of completion and b) my 57 model 75 needs a trans and u-joints but my trans is already 5-6 months late from rebuilder and I don't know when I'll get it, so I'm driving it sparingly in the meantime.

So, this car will keep my hands from being idle this summer and will be fun to cruise in.  I thought it would be just a fun seasonal project amd cruiser, but man I like this car.

I drove it home today 70÷ miles with no mechanical issues, but had a friend follow as the brake lights and turn signals don't work properly, among other things.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 12

Yeah that's the spirit give it that Sir Lance once over ... Nice righteous buy.  However, sounds like Pete is kinda creating some buying drama there.  My predictions what with the incoming economy or lack of really, there is gonna be a lot more deals coming this year. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lancemb said:

Okay guys, I bought the car.  For the record, I wound up paying considerably more than the asking price due to the "bidding war" that kicked off.  I don't begrudge the seller; I would expect anyone who found out they'd severely underpriced something to try to correct their error; there was no contract beached in doing so.

Upon looking at it, it has a lot more warts than the pictures show.  However, underneath those warts there is a low-mileage very original car.  There is nothing huge that it needs, but LOTS of little to moderate things.  I think it will be fun to give it the TLC it deserves.

I needed another car almost as much as a hole in the head, but I liked the car and bought it for a fair price because a) I need a change of pace and it's time to hand over my 57 coupe for the next phase of completion and b) my 57 model 75 needs a trans and u-joints but my trans is already 5-6 months late from rebuilder and I don't know when I'll get it, so I'm driving it sparingly in the meantime.

So, this car will keep my hands from being idle this summer and will be fun to cruise in.  I thought it would be just a fun seasonal project amd cruiser, but man I like this car.

I drove it home today 70÷ miles with no mechanical issues, but had a friend follow as the brake lights and turn signals don't work properly, among other things.

Did you know Pete was the one that offered $8,000?

9 hours ago, buick man said:

My predictions what with the incoming economy or lack of really, there is gonna be a lot more deals coming this year. 

I'm sure there will be.  I've already seen lots of deals come and go in recent history, but I was geographically unable to jump on them.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Please post additional pictures in Me and My Buick forum when you can.    

I have started a thread there and will post pictures as I get time to make progress on it.  Among first priorities will be going through non-functioning components and trying to find source of a short that's draining the battery.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Glassesguy said:

Obvious thing to check but is the radio turned off?  Don't ask me how I know this.

This was the first thing I checked, on my way home!  Btw - it wasn't.  Unfortunately itb didn't solve the drain.

• Like 1

Geographically Challenged, yeah or you can use my new term for it  Geo Chillin .

For an example as used in a sentence with other coined terms, lingo and slang:

" Man dude, the deal was red hot, punching all the buttons and I was way beamed in route in my mind but like I was really just Geo Chillin ... ya know - damn ...  "

• Haha 4

On 6/2/2021 at 1:58 AM, buick man said:

Geographically Challenged, yeah or you can use my new term for it  Geo Chillin .

For an example as used in a sentence with other coined terms, lingo and slang:

" Man dude, the deal was red hot, punching all the buttons and I was way beamed in route in my mind but like I was really just Geo Chillin ... ya know - damn ...  "

cool lingo man, like outa site! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I e-mailed the seller when the print ad came out in Hemmings.  She said it was sold via the Hemmings website prior to the ad being published.

Here is her take on the car:  quoting "She was kinda like those pretty girls on the internet...great in photos, then you get her home and she's got zits and cellulite and stretch marks....but a great personality!! 😅😅"

I wasn't looking for a '58, but the price caught my attention.  Best of luck with her, you got a very sharp '58, zits or not!

• Like 1