1949 Roadmaster Steering

The steering in this auto is really tough unless you are moving of course.  A woman could never drive it or park it hardly!  Thus was wondering in which year that Buick installed Power Steering?

And wondering how it was accomplished?  Would it be too difficult or impossible to take the power steering assembly from one of these newer Buicks and convert this Buick over?  I have talked to a local auto restoration shop here and they told me that I would have to change out the entire front end etc.  Not sure I was getting the correct info. Would be interested in any & all comments on this issue.

Lee Noga

Hello, I have a 49 Super and changed to the bias look radial tires , it made the steering a little lighter. I am not sure how many and how much adaptation it would take to add power steering.Hopefully some one with experience in this will contact you. The appearance didn’t change much but the radials still have a low spot where they contact the ground. Handling is improved and braking also however it does ride slightly harder. I would not use them on a show car but for a driver it’s a good compromise.They were sized at R 7.60 x15 .,  original size 7.60 x15   

7E368122-CEB1-4089-97AA-6ECC816A3E6A.jpeg

Posted (edited)

20160507_102558.jpg.9541aa70bee02eb9c089b8d58a6be376.jpg20160507_102728.jpg.feadc0d83c55353c858ed91f663c57bc.jpg1950 Super cnvrt with 1952 Super Pwr steering. Sectors identical thru '55, but length of shaft differs for different years and models. If someone has their sector out they could make a pattern of the bolt holes in their frame(same bolt pattern '50-'52& '52-'55) MANUAL&PWR. Changed for '56. 52&53 263" had fluid reservoir intregal with pump. 1952_320" pwr steering pump remote from reservoir, lower height to clear air clnr assy.

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)

Also a lot of the early power steering has little road feel , I had a 56 Cadillac and driving it you were constantly making steering corrections I had the front end rebuilt with little improvement. 

1 hour ago, gdmn852 said:

Also a lot of the early power steering has little road feel , I had a 56 Cadillac and driving it you were constantly making steering corrections I had the front end rebuilt with little improvement. 

If this happens especially if you have radial tires set the caster at max positive while maintaining zero camber.

Hello again, this was before radial tires were available just had BF Goodrich wide whites .It had like a preload on steering, I had talked to other owners of similar cars and they seem to have similar experience.But we were used to driving 20 plus newer cars too at the time.