Horn problem

I have put a fuse in my circuit to protect it from shorts. I have installed the original metal wire clad wire .

All works well with exception when I  use my horn and the fuse breaks the circuit.

The horn must be overloading the circuit. Either the horn is defective or my fuse ampere must be increased. 

1A52BB41-9DEF-4F8D-9048-1CDEE317E83C.jpeg.fc16575da203f5593b8dd890bbb5511b.jpeg

Stakeside,

Can you tell me about the top on your vacuum tank?  Is that a homemade cover?  The top of mine is cracked into pieces some of which are missing.  I would like to know about yours and how you made it if possible.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Minibago said:

Hi Jari,

Please start another thread regarding your Vacuum tank top.

I apologize.  Didn't mean to offend or get the thread off topic.  i just liked the ingenuity that I saw in the photo and wanted to know more.

Thank you.

If I remember you have a '29.....I have a '29 DA sedan so setup may be different. My horn wire runs from button at steering, down to Clum switch and out to horn. I had an issue with horn not working at times to sounding off  when I turned the wheel. I tested the horn and it was fine...I have a 20A fuse at the amp gauge which is what was recommended. Temporarily I've grounded horn at the firewall and used a toggle switch to operate horn. Pretty sure my problem is at horn button contact...or insulation is worn through at horn wire and contacts w/ metal tube down steering column

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Zetnick said:

If I remember you have a '29.....I have a '29 DA sedan so setup may be different. My horn wire runs from button at steering, down to Clum switch and out to horn. I had an issue with horn not working at times to sounding off  when I turned the wheel. I tested the horn and it was fine...I have a 20A fuse at the amp gauge which is what was recommended. Temporarily I've grounded horn at the firewall and used a toggle switch to operate horn. Pretty sure my problem is at horn button contact...or insulation is worn through at horn wire and contacts w/ metal tube down steering column

I agree wire and power go up the tube from clum switch and the cloth cover wires break down and ground out . Not a hard fix if you can slid your tube part way up to access screws to remove button and fish new wire in using existing . At top I used  joint with muti-layers of heat shrink tubing .

• Like 2

No offence meant or taken Jari, the vacuum tank top is a common pot metal corrosion problem.

They are available new from Glen Smith here in Australia.

Cindy and Tom Myers are the distributors for Glen in the USA.

The vacuum tank shown was not functioning as vacuum tank. It was just for gravity flow and a temporary fix.

I have seen theses tanks on eBay at times. If you are sure the other components are functioning correctly I suggest you purchase the top and order a rebuild kit.

43 minutes ago, stakeside said:

The vacuum tank shown was not functioning as vacuum tank. It was just for gravity flow and a temporary fix.

I have seen theses tanks on eBay at times. If you are sure the other components are functioning correctly I suggest you purchase the top and order a rebuild kit.

Thank you for the response.  After zooming in I could see the fill cap.  Nice way to run the engine for a short time while working on it until you get your fuel system fixed.  Thank you.

38 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Pic of splice . Stripped off few inches of old to slide up some shrink on existing attached at button . Then solder new wire ,with green shrink over joint . .Twisted wire there is existing . Jacket harden and broke down insulating . 

20150928_143339.jpg.763ac41b8e9dbb9bb86dd1550f0a56df.jpg

Thanks for photo. My contact doesn't look like that....mine is more like the end of a wire with some solder in it. I'm sure part of my problem along with bad wire insulation.