For Sale: RARE! 1966 Imperial Crown Convertible. Possible Trades? - $8,900 - Project - Marshville, NC - Not Mine

For Sale: RARE! 1966 Imperial Crown Convertible. Possible Trades? - $8,900 - Project - Marshville, NC 

RARE! 1966 Imperial Crown Convertible. Possible Trades? - cars &... (craigslist.org)

Extremely Rare, only 514 built!! These are high end collector cars restored. All original and fully loaded with 440 engine and automatic tranny. Solid, virtually rust free body. Lot drives, power top works as it should, car needs TLC. May consider trading, sent pictures of what you have.
Phone or text preferred.

Copy and paste in your email:  7679ce37bcca3ad4b1945b2c8cb5d4c0@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1966 Imperial Crown Convertible - Project. 

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC a.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC b.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC c.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC d.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC e.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC f.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC g.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC h.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC i.jpg

'66 Imperial Crown Conv NC j.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The 55er said:

Imagine the restoration cost on that one. Paint, chrome, top, leather interior, mechanicals, steering wheel, dashpad etc. Are these really high end collector cars? 

Primarily its the Imperial convertibles that are in demand, more for the high-flying-fins late 1950's-early 1960's models, still to a degree for these Engel Imperials.   The only year the convertible production exceeded 1000 cars was 1957; in only the hundreds annually through 1968.  As such, they are the ultimate example of a corporate vanity project, kept in production in spite of their miniscule sales so that executives had an appropriate car to drive to DAC or the country club and for dealership to display to generate showroom traffic and the owner to sport around in.  

The best approach for this '66 Imperial convertible is to inspect it for rust damage, determine if it is reasonably mechanically good, negotiate a better price, then clean it up, sort out and repair its mechanical problems, make it roadworthy, buff-out and spot-in matching dark green lacquer presentable for a 20 footer, clean, condition and patch the upholstery, slap on a cheap top and go to DRIVING IT dressed like Milburn Drysdale to have fun at cruise nights for summer fun!!!  .  If it proves to be worthy of more, source an Imperial hardtop with better chrome to swap, spring for the better paint and top only then.  Practical?  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The 55er said:

Are these really high end collector cars? 

Nice examples have some desirability, but I don't

know that they're so desirable that anyone would

restore a very worn-out example.  Mr. 58L assessed

the desirability very well:

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Primarily its the Imperial convertibles that are in demand, more for the

high-flying-fins late 1950's-early 1960's models, still to a degree for these Engel Imperials. 

Even the 4-door hardtops look good.  I'd rather have

an excellent 4-door hardtop than put tens of thousands

of dollars into restoring a convertible.

• Like 1

Probably one of my favorite  cars of the 60s, if I had some fun money I would buy a 65-66 Imperial.  My favorite cars of the 60s have filtered down to the 66 Luxury makes of Imperial and Cadillac, and the 68-69 Eldorados.  

I have a "forever" ad running on the Imperial On Line Club website for specifically a 65-66 LeBaron.  But I could own a 65-66 conv. too.