26/27 Coupe is home what do ya think?

You guys know these things better than I ever will, so what do you think?

I found this on FB on 4/23. Early the next morning (Sat) I called the owner and went and looked at it. I was very amazed how solid the body was but was not really interested in another project so I told the owner I wasn't interested and thanked him for his time..

Saturday night and Sunday this thing continued to nag, tug and haunt me non stop.. The owners phone # was written on a piece of paper still on the coffee table. Sunday night I dosed off watching the tube and woke up a few hours later, first thing directly in site as my eyes opened, the Phone #. Well I went and made my first trip, came back and started the show over and tossed the remote on top of the phone # on the table and again drifted off.. About daylight I awoke sat up and about the time my feet hit the floor I looked down for my slipper there was that damned phone # on the floor alongside my slipper staring up at me..

Ok I will call and ask a few questions that were nagging at me.. 8am I called. He had listed his # in the add. Low Ballers and Bottom Feeders were ringing his phone non stop and he was frazzled.. I asked the questions I had and as I was getting ready to hang up he again stated he was going nuts with the phone calls so I asked what is your rock bottom cash money today price?. I didn't expect that response.. I told him I would take it, he was here in 15 mins.

Turns out I went to school with the daughters of the old guy that had owned this car since he was 15 in 1954.. The guy I bought it from traded some work for it and shoved it in his the garage and never touched it. Title was still in the old guys name.

I have not even turned it over as of yet. I hope to get to that shortly..

I have only found 2 spots of rust in the body one behind the rear of the passenger door and one in the L rear wheel well.. Both were plated decades ago.

There are a few things missing,  rain gutters, spare wheel/rim a few rim clamps one of the lock nuts for the windshield pivot, one of the hood latches is broken as is the knob on the light switch.  (If anyone has any of these parts to sell message me)

I have no idea why the trunk lid and opening were removed and plated over. (I may leave it this way or I may fix it at some point all depends on whats available and the cost)

Kids got in the old man's out building and thru rocks at it leaving some nice dents and busted glass.

The brand new custom made gas tank was a pleasant find.. 

What is the Globe brand thing on the dash,, Aftermarket gas gauge?

IMG_6645.JPG

IMG_6646.JPG

IMG_6650.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6678.JPG

IMG_6670.JPG

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6687.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6676.JPG

IMG_6690.JPG

IMG_6689.JPG

Edited by BHWINCVAP
grammer (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Looks like a good start. You've got the only Brewster's ice cream around anymore, stop there all the time going to my daughter's. Was the radiator shell nickled under the paint? It appears to be a deluxe '26. The nickled shell and cowl lights say that but the cowl lights were available separate. 

15 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Looks like a good start. You've got the only Brewster's ice cream around anymore, stop there all the time going to my daughter's. Was the radiator shell nickled under the paint? It appears to be a deluxe '26. The nickled shell and cowl lights say that but the cowl lights were available separate. 

I think the headlights were changed to the Deluxe style at one point, They don't match the cowl lights and the grille shell is a plain old painted down to the ugly old green. From what I seen  in the Dodge Bros book Deluxe tear drop headlights should have the matching cowl lights..

We never go to Brewsters we always go to, I think its  Forries out by Pinchot once in a while to Reesers..

Thanks all for the encouragement!

If you didn't get a Book of Information with it you need one. That is the owner's manual. Contact the AACA library and ask for Matt. You want the manual printed JUST before your car was built. If you go to the DBClub website you can determine when it was built by the serial number. There is a list of the manuals on the club site with edition numbers. The DBC stores it's literature in AACA library.