1946 lincoln continental convertible

stef 22

Hello,
I have a friend who owns a 1946 Continental Convertible Lincoln from California and he has a retractable roof issue, it does not open despite proper pump power The dispense valve looks new to me, but I have the impression that the supply pipes are mounted upside down on the distribution valve.
Does anyone have a picture of the valve or a solution.
thank you
stephane
 France

, Abe, but the car is not for sale but there is just a problem with the soft top not opening. There may be someone who can help me with a photo of the control valve. Thank you for your help .

Here is a page from the 1949 Shop Manual showing the pump. I believe that the pump plumbing is the same for the 1946.

I don't know how you are posting your replies, but they are very difficult to read. Have you tried to type into the reply box directly?

lincoln-hydraulic-pump.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo. The control valve looks different to the 49-51 valve. The Service Manual that I have does not have a drawing of the control valve and how it works. As a guess, I would say that the upper hose provides pressure from the pump and the lower hose is the return line. The upper steel line should go to the tops of the operating cylinders and the lower pipe should go to the bottom of the operating cylinders. When the top switch is moved to lower the top, the pump should operate and the fluid pressure should go to the top of the operating cylinders.

There were 2 type of pressure pumps used in the 1946-1948 cars. A low pressure pump identified by a a cadmium plated plug on the pressure relief valve at the back of the pump and  high pressure pump identified by a copper plated plug on the pressure relief valve.

If the top will not lower (retract):

Check the hydraulic pressure at the control valve top cylinder port. It should be 200-210 psi for the low pressure type pump and 250-260 psi for the high pressure type pump. If you do not have the correct pressure, check the pressure at the operating valve. If it is correct, the problem is in the control valve.

If the pressure is correct at the control valve, check the pressure at the top of a top cylinder. If it is low, the trouble is either in the tubing or the top cylinders.

If the pressure is normal, the problem is in the top linkage binding or the operating cylinders.

I hope that this helps you. Let us know how you make out.

small détails,i noticed that whatever the position of control,push or pull,the top closes.Second thing the car is converted to 12 volts and battry negative to ground,however the windows work normaly.

I have never worked on a car with the hydraulic connections reversed. If you think that this is the cause of your problem, trace the lines out by physical inspection.

The windows do not use the top control valve. The pump motor should have been converted to 12 volts negative ground when the car was converted. It is unlikely that the pump is running backwards as the windows work.

There is a small chance that adusting the control valve operating rod may fix your problem. The control valve may not be moving enough to open the ports to the top of the operating cylinders. If this does not fix your problem, you will have to get a new control valve or have yours rebuilt.

Loosen the set screw that secures the control rod in control valve lever and pull the control rod out so the distance between the ferrule on the bracket and the knob is 26 mm. ( this is the length of the exposed rod). Tighten the set screw and try operating the top.