Jump to content

Pictures of My Cadillacs


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Can't zoom the Fleetwood enough to see and can't remember if it was even still available in 76. Is it a Talisman?

It was (final year), it aint, just a Brougham.

 

Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More than the cars though, I think you've got a knack for taking good photos!

Terry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Can't zoom the Fleetwood enough to see and can't remember if it was even still available in 76. Is it a Talisman?

What was included with the Talisman option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fine Cadillacs, an interesting pair illustrating the last of a long line of the traditional large luxury car and the first of the coming configuration for luxury cars.

 

Photographing cars is a challenge with the default portrait format on most cameras.  Some adjust automatically when turned horizontally to better frame and focus the subject.   Here is a link to the free shareware photo manipulation software that works very easily to crop and improve photos: www.irfanview.com   The basic free version will fulfill most needs, try it first.   Hope this helps.  

'76 Cadillacs - Fleetwood & Seville.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, GregLaR said:

What was included with the Talisman option?

 

The "Talisman" option included a special nameplate

on the outside.  Inside was extremely sumptuous velour

with center consoles front and rear, creating seating

only for four.

 

The chances of any Fleetwood being a Talisman are

quite low, because it was an expensive option.

 

Pin on Great 70's Cadillac Interiors

Rare '70s Opulence! 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood Talisman – Barn Finds

 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cadillac's BIG mistake was not keeping the 1971-'76 Fleetwood in production for two more years like they did the Eldorado. 

 

And moving it upmarket by using genuine REAL wood trim inside like they did in 1966, and with some handling & performance tweaks, it could have been a true Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 contender.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talisman came in two configurations. Velour (above) $$ and leather $$$$.

 

Talisman always fascinated me, because they were as close as modern Cadillacs got to their 1930s executive sedan predecessors without moving into commercial chassis. The only one I ever saw was owned by Dan River Fabrics and used to shuttle their honchos between HQ here in Danville and their nearby plants where using aircraft wasn't feasible.

 

Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-75 points out that, at $2450 1970s money, 1974's leather Talisman option was only $100 less than a brand new base Ford Pinto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to Pictures of My Cadillacs

Only the 1974 Fleetwood Talisman came standard with the four place seating and stationary console both front and rear.  For 1975, only the front retained the individual seats and console as standard, the rear seat came with the same upholstery pattern but fold-down armrest unless the stationary console was ordered.  

 

The most luxurious 60 Special/Fleetwood Brougham interiors in the vein of what would be found in a 1930's Cadillac custom bodied sedan were the 1965 and 1966, the ultimate the latter with its wide walnut window friezes and trim.  It would be worth installing '66 Eldorado buckets and console in that pattern in the front and creating individual rear seats and stationary console to elevate it to even more luxurious a state.

'66 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham CT f.jpg

'66 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham CT g.jpg

'66 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham CT h.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The most luxurious 60 Special/Fleetwood Brougham interiors in the vein of what would be found in a 1930's Cadillac custom bodied sedan were the 1965 and 1966, the ultimate the latter with its wide walnut window friezes and trim.  It would be worth installing '66 Eldorado buckets and console in that pattern in the front and creating individual rear seats and stationary console to elevate it to even more luxurious a state.

It was available on 1966 Fleetwoods, but one would forfeit the rear seat fold-down tables if it was chosen.

 

Craig

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

and the buttons are for the picnic tables. Always liked the ones with the rectangular headlanps. Prolly the only GALB I'd like would be a '76 Eldo 'vert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice pics!  I like the big boy as well, but also remember a middle school pal whose mom had a seville when they first came out in 76.  It was a huge hit, I used to like it when she ferried us to the town pool and golf course ($35 for seasons pass for us grubby 8th graders), much smaller than our 74 delta 88 but it was definately the latest thing as they say.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

It was available on 1966 Fleetwoods, but one would forfeit the rear seat fold-down tables if it was chosen.

 

Craig

Craig: I've only ever seen one 1966 Fleetwood Brougham with the optional Eldorado bucket seats and console, black finish and black vinyl top with red leather interior.  By the time I encountered it in the late 1970's, it was a pretty rusty abused car. Shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

The "Talisman" option included a special nameplate

on the outside. 

 

Thanks John.

I was never aware this option package existed.  So a quick google shows this option was only available for 3 years, 1974-'77.  Does that sound right?

Greg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally have always thought that a decromed/delighted hearse would make a great road car with lotsa luggage space.

Of course have had a number of Caddys and always liked them, just prefer something smaller (Allante).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Thanks John.

I was never aware this option package existed.  So a quick google shows this option was only available for 3 years, 1974-'77.  Does that sound right?

 

I believe the 3 years were 1974-76, with the large Fleetwoods.

Once Cadillac reduced the size of the cars for 1977, the Talisman

package was no longer available.

 

Today, Talisman versions are quite desirable among Cadillac fans,

while the other Fleetwoods get far less attention.

 

A neighbor of my parents had a Talisman in dark blue.

A car reviewer said that a driver stepped on the gas pedal,

and after a pause the car seemed to float forward.  This is

exactly the sensation I had, even though I had not yet read

that old review.

 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the gray/silver one a Seville? I always liked that style of Seville. Nicely styled in a BMW sort of way. The car, along with its 350cu engine made for a good driving experience. 

 

Later versions of the Seville were caricatures.

 

What's the status of the earlier Seville market? I could see buying a clean, nice example.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Appreciate the comments.  Thanks for fixing the photos, they look great.

 

While I drive the Seville like it is one of one (very carefully), I drive the Brougham like I stole it.  Like Adam Ferrara from Top Gear used to say "big girl can run".  When I have had them on the interstate, the Seville likes to cruise around 65mph while big girl likes to get up to 75 & 80mph and just floats.  I wanted a Talisman but they are to find and very expensive and besides this one has some celebrity history with it.

 

When I bought the Seville I later learned it is #1293 of the first 2000 built in April 1975 as promo models.

 

Tim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks John, and yes a typo on my end.  I meant to say "74-'76.

Cheers!

1 minute ago, 76 Caddy said:

...... and besides this one has some celebrity history with it.

Tim, you can't leave us hanging.......  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, RansomEli said:

Is the gray/silver one a Seville?

...What's the status of the earlier Seville market?  I could see buying a clean, nice example.

 

32 minutes ago, 76 Caddy said:

When I bought the Seville I later learned it is #1293 of the first 2000 built in April 1975 as promo models.

 

An interesting fact:  ALL of the first Sevilles

were gray!  It may have been a problem with a

supplier, if I'm recalling correctly from what I read.

But up to a certain number that first year, they

were all gray.

 

Sevilles have a modest popularity with Cadillac fans,

as much as the 1977-79 downsized DeVilles.

They aren't expensive, either.  And since Cadillacs

came in at least 20 paint colors, with about 9 different

interior colors, there are some unusual colors that you

won't see on other GM makes.  Here's a turquoise

1977 Seville whose picture I saved from the internet:

 

1977 Cadillac Seville turquoise 2.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

1977 Cadillac Seville turquoise 2.jpg

True American-class luxury, and proof that General Motors DID have the ability to take a cheap (albeit very good) basic platform and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Makes you wonder how it had all gone to hell by the mid-80s, when the only difference between a Cimarron and a Cavalier was the emblem on the grille.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

 

An interesting fact:  ALL of the first Sevilles

were gray!  It may have been a problem with a

supplier, if I'm recalling correctly from what I read.

But up to a certain number that first year, they

were all gray.

 

Sevilles have a modest popularity with Cadillac fans,

as much as the 1977-79 downsized DeVilles.

They aren't expensive, either.  And since Cadillacs

came in at least 20 paint colors, with about 9 different

interior colors, there are some unusual colors that you

won't see on other GM makes.  Here's a turquoise

1977 Seville whose picture I saved from the internet:

 

1977 Cadillac Seville turquoise 2.jpg

The color of the first 2000 was called Georgian silver.

 

Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought the interior was gussied up a bit also but major problem was that the Cimarron did not get the V6 until the very end and never got the V6/ 5 speed.

 

So like the Allante, the original Cimarron was flat out slow.  While the Allante got a significant power boost in '89 the Cimarron never got a performance (Z-24) version. Is another GM "coulda bin".

 

OTOH the Seville took the NOVA platform and added a FI Olds 350. Plenty of power Trouble was few understood the Bendix/Bosche FI. '75 Seville had its own factory service manual.

 

ps first Buick Reattas were all red with saddle interiors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, padgett said:

Thought the interior was gussied up a bit also but major problem was that the Cimarron did not get the V6 until the very end and never got the V6/ 5 speed.

 

So like the Allante, the original Cimarron was flat out slow.  While the Allante got a significant power boost in '89 the Cimarron never got a performance (Z-24) version. Is another GM "coulda bin".

 

OTOH the Seville took the NOVA platform and added a FI Olds 350. Plenty of power Trouble was few understood the Bendix/Bosche FI. '75 Seville had its own factory service manual.

 

ps first Buick Reattas were all red with saddle interiors.

The interior wasn't 'gussied up' enough, nor was the exterior appreciably any different from the other J-cars in the GM stable.  GM intentionally kept it a four cylinder in the beginning as the BMW 3-series was only a four cylinder, but much more smooth and refined over the GM four.  

 

The first Pontiac Fieros were red, and the first year Corvettes were all Polo White.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

...GM intentionally kept it a four cylinder in the beginning as the BMW 3-series was only a four cylinder, but much more smooth and refined over the GM four.  

My BMW tech cousin refers to 3-series as "German Chevettes".

 

That comparison sure doesn't say much for those J-car fours!🥴

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember Rick Wagoner saying the reason GM still made large cars when everyone else was downsizing was that is where the profit is.

Still does not excuse cars that were too slow to get out of their own way.

 

To be honest the slowest car I remember was a rental LeBaron with 2.2 liter 4 cyl/automagic sometime in the 80s. I was trying to cross a highway at a stop sign and wondered if it could ever make it across.

 
 
 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

My BMW tech cousin refers to 3-series as "German Chevettes".

 

That comparison sure doesn't say much for those J-car fours!🥴

Maybe he calls them that because they actually are easy to work on; at least the 3-series of that age are, as far as German vehicles go.  Not because of the performance.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He calls them that because he considers them fairly junky.

 

In the car's defense, a lot of 3-series he gets are owned by people who can barely afford payment and insurance, had no clue how intensive and expensive BMW maintenance is, and consequently do no maintenance until the car can no longer be driven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen tons of BMW's that have met their ignominious end in the local Pick'n'Pull yard over the years.  And in every case with the 3-series, it was an uncaring owner at some point in its life, as they were often rusted out wrecks. It was not uncommon to find empty coffee cups, candy bar and gum wrappers, etc., littering the interior.  The Chevette resemblance was definitely visible when you saw that!

 

Craig

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...