Decoding a Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe 1948

Hi,

I saw this car back in 2008, had the opportunity to buy it in 2015 but missed it. It came up for sale last week and this time I was lucky :-)

Now as the car is sitting in my garage I'm quite excited to dive into the story of the car. I was told it might have been a police car, but I'm working on getting this confirmed.

Meanwhile I have spent quite some time trying to decode the bodytag - but surfing the internet turned out with no luck.

Can someone please help decoding a bodytag? :-)

Best Regards

Victor

Chrysler.JPG

Hi,

All chrome was redone about 15-20 years ago. I remember this from the first time I saw the car in 2008, a lot was spent and it still looks amazing.

Here is a picture of the bodytag - and one of my own pictures of the car from tonight :-)

Best Regards

Victor

9CEEDC8A-D2AD-4937-9093-D0259FA1393D.jpeg

B2D4E6EA-A487-4F26-A9CB-EC5D3A05A309.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Norman,

That looks gorgeous 😄

What is the story about the fender spotlight? .. Is that from an ambulance? The guy I bought my car from had one of these too. 

Still interested to know if anyone can help decode my car from the body tag, I'm also interested in more general information about these cars such as production numbers, options etc. or places to search for more information. 

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

There was some special equipment used on the police cars.  First thing that comes to mind is the generator.  If it has some of the police car parts still there I would think that is a good indicator.  I dont think anything on the body tag or serial number would tell you.  I've not seen info on numbers to that degree of fidelity.  Perhaps a vintage history might be fruitful.  Some states might let you get info about the title and ownership.