New 3rd Brake Light Option

JRHaelig

I've been poking around to find a 6 volt LED 3rd brake light bar for my '39 Buick business coupe.

I was thinking licence plate frame for a vintage motorcycle or Volkswagen. 

Then I found this one the other day...

Ebay 6 volt led bar

I first tried mounting it above the license plate, but the bracket was finicky and wiring through the trunk handle was tricky.

So, inside the rear window it was.  I connected a separate lead to the brake light switch,  ran the wire through the firewall and down the floor.

The absence of a headliner made it easier to affix the light's bracket to the window frame.

All in all it worked out well and I'm more comfortable with a modern view for modern drivers.

20210501_181231.jpg.8e721eb90f73b3282e5ba18404cdb373.jpg

Edited by JRHaelig (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Our old cars have very small, and sometimes only one brake light. The light bar is a great addition to safety. I installed one in my Franklin, but at the bottom of the rear glass instead of the top. Of course the bottom of my rear glass is about the same height as the top of yours.

10 hours ago, hook said:

Our old cars have very small, and sometimes only one brake light. The light bar is a great addition to safety.

And older cars, such as my 1916 model,

have a single tail light that isn't even a brake light.

It lights in the dark but isn't connected to the

braking system.

You can also go one step further in getting the attention of the driver behind you. I added a tiny flasher, smaller than a nickel, for just the third brake light.  It goes inline with the wire powering the light so no need to run additional wiring. I have it set to flash the third brake light 5 times and then it stays on steady to alert drivers behind that I'm stopping. Found it on Amazon.

Brake Flasher (8).JPG

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You can also go one step further in getting the attention of the driver behind you. I added a tiny flasher, smaller than a nickel, for just the third brake light.  It goes inline with the wire powering the light so no need to run additional wiring. I have it set to flash the third brake light 5 times and then it stays on steady to alert drivers behind that I'm stopping. Found it on Amazon.

Brake Flasher (8).JPG

Flasher option is a great idea for a third brake light.

Tried to find the one above, instead found and ordered this one from Superbrightleds. $4.95.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.12.27 AM.png

Some years back (they all run together) maybe in 6V days, someone built and advertised a :traffic light" type of bar.. three light ,showing .red when slowing or stopping, orange (?) apparently never took off, don't recall ever seeing one installed in cars i followed... when at steady speed, green when accelerating...l

OOPS..spelling correction dropped out part...that was orange. I think, for steady spee and green when accelerating

Edited by Bud Tierney
Completion (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Brake Flasher (8).JPG

Do they make a 6 volt.