Steering Column, Teens to 20's. What is it from?

Dandy Dave

Genuine Barn Find. Anyone know what it fits? My though is maybe it was from some type of light delivery vehicle as it does not appear to lean back very far from the way I would think it mounts. It is available if someone out there can't live without it. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

It looks to have been mounted in a very upright position , but that may be from a later use after it was salvaged from the original vehicle.  You can usually loosen the two clamp bolts on the frame bracket and rotate the steering assembly to whatever angle is needed. Sometimes the position is keyed to a particular angle but usually they are not.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Something suggest to me the steering wheel (circa 1930-32) is much later than rest of the assembly (1910-1920). 

Yeah, Could be from something like a light delivery vehicle, like a Divco milk truck, or other COE with the angle it is at. It was riveted to the frame. The rivets are still there. Agree that the 3 spoke steering wheel is unusual for the time period with the spark and throttle levers on the column. 

20 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

It looks to have been mounted in a very upright position , but that may be from a later use after it was salvaged from the original vehicle.  You can usually loosen the two clamp bolts on the frame bracket and rotate the steering assembly to whatever angle is needed. Sometimes the position is keyed to a particular angle but usually they are not.

Yes. Like a COE (Cab Over Engine) light delivery type vehicle was my first thought. Got me puzzled? Although it is set up for left hand drive, it almost looks like maybe it could be set up and used for right hand drive like a mail delivery truck. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

What make it a genuine barn find? Well, here's the barn. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

Dave, years ago I used to live in Wingdale, NY and worked at Heritage Automotive Restorations in Pawling, NY. That barn looks awfully familiar, where exactly is it and what road?

Howard Dennis

On 5/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, hddennis said:

Dave, years ago I used to live in Wingdale, NY and worked at Heritage Automotive Restorations in Pawling, NY. That barn looks awfully familiar, where exactly is it and what road?

Howard Dennis

It is north of Wingdale in the town of Copake which is Columbia County. It is at the intersection of Weed Mine and Valley View Rd. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

It is north of Wingdale in the town of Copake which is Columbia County. It is at the intersection of Weed Mine and Valley View Rd. Dandy Dave! 

Thanks Dave, 

I used to like to stop in and see Tony LaPorta and his Peerless and the GJG when in that area. Loved when Tony took me over to see Peter Helk and Old 16, those were the days!

Howard Dennis

• Like 1

We had this conversation before. Tony was quite a character and a friend. The farm is on the East side of Rt. 22 from where Tony lived. Almost behind the GMC garage. I got the Peerless chassis running for a friend around 15 to 20 years ago.