chrome plating

broker-len

I tried it many many years ago on some rims that were sandblasted. Some of the chrome was left, but not shiny. I primer and painted.  After a couple of years, the that was over the chrome started to flake off. I stripped and sanded the chrome areas till I was blue in the face. Primed and painted. The following year it started again. Mike

• Like 1

A couple of the bumper guards on my 52 had some surface rust and were dingy to say the least. Cost of rechromming being what it is I decided to clean them well, scuff them, and paint them with chrome from a spray bomb. Although you definitely can tell it does not look bad and as a driver, I am happy with it. And do far no problem with adhesion. 

As Mike said, the paint will come off eventually. My hubcaps have black painted details and it was a PITA getting the paint to stay on when pulling the masking tape. My horn trumpets also have the tube part of the body painted fender color, in my case black, which is still holding up well. I scuffed the chrome the best I could and wiped them down with Prepsol to remove any oils or solvents to help the paint stick. I found using etch primer first helps the color coat adhesion.

Try nail polish to paint in details on hubcaps..........works great. Lasts for ten years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

Try nail polish to paint in details on hubcaps..........works great. Lasts for ten years.

That’s interesting, I’ll have to try some. I’ll have to go to a Goth store to get some black nail polish! 😄

I've painted around 20 Buick road wheels over the years.  Talking about the lobes.  What I did was make up some magnet sheets, cut up to cover the chrome ribs, center and surrounding area.  Blasted the hell out of the lobes in my cabinet with aluminum oxide.  Going on around 10-12 years, not seeing any paint flake off yet.  Course the lobe area is sort of rough to begin with, but still they are filled with chrome.  So yeah rouging up helps as far as I have seen.

Hydrochloric acid will remove chrome plate..Some stronger muriatic acid(a weakened solution of hydrochloric acid and varies in strength) may work on  chrome .

There also is a pre packaged chrome remover sold by brand "Gold Pating Services" on Amazon.

The only paint that will last the longest is a good grade of oil  enamel..with good surface prep etc for tooth.

Any painted chrome will chip easier then anything not chromed and painted .LOL.

411CdRz0mrL._AC_SY780_.jpg