1978 Buick Electra 2-Dr on EBay - 43K miles

dmfconsult

Wow, and it is bringing strong money in a "real" auction.    To me, the mileage is perfect.  The last 2 owners have pampered it, but drove it.  Not some 3,000 mile gummed up car.  

The seller's presentation is - I guess - good in that there is plenty of detail, photos.  I can not argue with the color descriptions or choice by the original owner.  White vinyl means cool comfort in July-September and easy to clean, no leather conditioner required.    I am not a Saffron fan per se, but it does look nice.  

When I saw the photo of underneath, I thought the 1st thing I would do is replace that exhaust with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch diameter single pipe and NO Catalytic converter!  Probably would add 10 hp right there at the rear and smooth powerful acceleration.  

On 5/3/2021 at 7:43 PM, dmfconsult said:

already up over $20K with 6 days left.  

The bidding is now at $21,100 with 4 days left.

I have a '79 Electra Limited coupe--same body

as this, and equally nice, but in an unusual and

probably less popular green, not "resale red." 

This fine red car should have topped off around

$10,000, in my humble estimation.  I hope the

bidding is honest.  Sorry to say, no Electra of

1977-1979 vintage is worth $21,000!

1979 Buick Electra mine (4).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Final price was at $25,000 for this one.  Indications from the seller is that these are legitimate sales... he recently sold a 10,000 mile 4-dr Electra that went at $19,900.  This seller does have a reputation for selling nice cars.

On 5/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

The bidding is now at $21,100 with 4 days left.

I have a '79 Electra Limited coupe--same body

as this, and equally nice, but in an unusual and

probably less popular green, not "resale red." 

This fine red car should have topped off around

$10,000, in my humble estimation.  I hope the

bidding is honest.  Sorry to say, no Electra of

1977-1979 vintage is worth $21,000!

1979 Buick Electra mine (4).JPG

You are correct.  Makes me wonder what is going on with that pricing.   Being formally also in the Cadillac LaSalle Club, as I believe you may be, there is a member there who tries to sell the virtues of the 77-79 Cadillacs as a "best buy."  

Personally, and I like Eric a lot - the 77-79 Electras hold a slight edge for me.  Drivetrains are "apples to apples."  The Cadillac had the smaller version of their bulletproof big block, the 425.  Buick had either the 350 Buick engine, which most of us prefer, and the equally strong Olds 403.  I have owned a 78 Olds 98 with the 403.   

But the Buick Electra has a better front grille and end in my opinion, and I like the Buick rear treatment.   You can't get the sporty road wheels on a Cadillac either.  

but for whatever reason unknown to me, GM made a LOT of cars in the 70's.  A lot of the Cadillacs and Buicks so why pay $20K for an Electra?  Not sure I understand that.  

Well, I have a slightly different take.  These cars are now 43 years old, so would be like buying a 56 2-dr Roadmaster in 1999.  Now, I will grant you that the 56 does have a whole lot more style, but keep in mind that the 78 cars have most of the modern conveniences, are very comfortable and easy to drive, are very reliable, and keep up well with modern traffic.  If you compare the $25,000 price tag to a newer car, you are getting a very reliable easy to maintain car that is unique and easy to show and tour with.  I'm in the age group (now 50) that were kids riding around in these cars with their families, so have fond memories of rides in these cars when they were new.  When you combine this with the quality of this particular car, in that everything that it seems to have needed has been done (including having the wheels rechromed), the price doesn't seem very outrageous.  I could definitely see myself using this car as a second car for the family.  Heck, I've thought about using the Estate Wagon as my "second car" many times, leaving the modern car to my wife.  Gas mileage is not that different from a modern pick-up after all...

When I have the 78 Estate Wagon out, it has always surprised me how many people will come up to me and talk to me about the car... many more than when I have the 67 Electra out.  Of course, we all had, or knew of someone, that had a wagon just like it right.  What you're seeing is just the next generation of folks who now can afford to have a car from their childhood, and this generation of cars is it.  You'll still be able to find these cars cheap of course, but this particular car was so nice, someone was willing to pay a premium for it... as they say, value is set by how much someone is willing to pay, and given the end price and the number of bids it took to get it, there were quite a few willing to pay that premium.

• Like 1